2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering Whining

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:16 AM
MrStonex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Whining

Hi, lately i've been hearing a whine like you would when the power steering pump is going out. I feel like it is the power steering pump, but when I start it up I wont hear it til the trucks been going for a while then it gets louder. I'm really just wanting to know if its anything else it could be? I topped off the reservoir a couple of days ago with Automatic Transmission Fluid that it for some reason calls for.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:19 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

could be pump going out, especially if low on fluid, when parts warm up clearances open up. Does it still do it if it's warm, you shut it off and restart in a few minutes? (basically let it get hot disconnect belt restart and make sure noise is gone, then spin pulleys and see which feels funny if any)

Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 AM
MrStonex

It does not do it right off the start if I let it get warm, turn it off and turn it back on.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStonex
I topped off the reservoir a couple of days ago with Automatic Transmission Fluid that it for some reason calls for.

We have the same truck. When I got mine, it had regular PS fluid in it. I drained it completely from the rack and put in ATF+4. You need to be sure ATF is what was in it originally, because you don't want to mix them. You can usually tell by color, but more so, by the smell. Maybe you should just drain it all out and put in new ATF.

PS, mine has a low-level whine at all times. My understanding is that all these trucks do, but I haven't compared it against any others.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-22-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
MrStonex

I did not check to see if that was originally in it, that was my bad. And it never did whine until recently, but I will try flushing it and putting new fluid in it.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

If you jack up the front, you will see the two PS lines going into the rack. Remove them and let it all drain. Spray a shot of brake cleaner into the bottom of the canister, so it clears the little mesh filter. If this clogs, it can cause the whining you speak of.

With engine off, turn wheels back and forth... it will spit out the fluid in the rack and make a holy mess if you don't have a drop cloth of some kind. Connect it back up and fill with ATF. This first fill is used to flush out the remaining PS fluid mixture, so cheapest ATF is fine. Turn wheel lock to lock 20-30 times (add fluid if needed) until you feel the steering tighten up... that means the system is primed. Now drain again and repeat the process with ATF. Remember, engine off to prevent damage to pump while dry.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
MrStonex

To me it looks only like one line coming out of the reservoir, pointed towards the battery direction. Also seems to be louder when the engine is revved up. Don't know if that helps, and can constantly hear it once it warms up.

Last edited by MrStonex; 03-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

The return or inlet is at the back of the reservoir where it connects to the pump. You can't see it unless you were to remove the bottle.

You're not pulling anything up top anyway, just the two lines below, going into the rack.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 PM
MrStonex

Alright, i'll try and do it tomorrow while i'm on lunch.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by MrStonex
Alright, i'll try and do it tomorrow while i'm on lunch.

While on lunch??? Lemme know how that works out.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Whining