2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New to me 2003 Dakota - Tire and other advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
totalrecall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2003 Dakota - Tire and other advice

Hi, just bought a new to me 2003 Dakota Base 2Dr Standard Cab 4X2. It has the SXT lettering along with the 3.9 V6, Auto Trans, 3.55 Rear and ONLY 64,000 miles. I did go to a Dodge link and as well as a pay service to decode the VIN some more and those sites seem to confirm a Heavy Duty suspension (Are they all "heavy duty") and the tire size.

Although in decent condition, looks like some paint spray and a few other body work signs, it's clean underneath and goes down the road straight. Doesn't look like much maintenance however, just got the fluids flushed and the dealer said the Trans Fluid might be original, it was dirty enough. Two tires are also from 2003.

Tire question is (finally) the truck has the 255 65 16 which seem a little hard to find and expensive. The door sticker says 245 70 16 and those seem more readily available. Have any of you downsized to the 245's and do they sit properly on the 16X8 rims that the VIN says I have?

Tune Up Question, might also be original wires and cap according to dealer, either way at 64,000 miles, time to check it all out. It's been a while since I had anything that still had a cap and rotor. I know looking at wires doesn't tell much, but anything special I need with the Cap and Rotor, any cleaning that I might need before I put it all back together.

Thanks for your thoughts

Mike

Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't say much for your tire questions, my truck has 15" wheels and I use a 235/75R15 tire. Also I am not too familiar with the different suspensions, but I can say use the Echlin brand cap and rotor from NAPA, part numbers MO26 and MO28. They have brass contacts and will provide a little better spark to the plugs, plus they have a lot less less chance of corrosion. The Belden Premium spark plug wire set from NAPA works very well too. I used those for a long time but on my last tune up I used Autolite Professional wires from Advance, they are just as good as Belden. If you have the original wires, cap and rotor you may also have the original plugs. You might want to check those and replace if needed. Autolite 3923 is what you want, you can buy them at Walmart for about $2.50 for 2 plugs in a package. Follow the factory gap specs on the sticker under the hood, should be .040" and change them out about every 25,000 30,000 miles. Squirt some dialecetric grease in each end of your new wires and use just a little dab of anti-sieze on the new plugs to make removal easier next time.

Jimmy

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM
archemedes74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had good luck with the BWD ignition parts (it's borg warner so not a no name brand) and the autolite wires. As for tires check tirerack.com are you sure it's 16"? I see 15 being standard

Old 03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 265X70X16 on my truck. They're the same size it came with when new. Just replaced the entire set. Ran around $700 complete for al 4. Mavis Tire. Mounted and drive away. Tried the mail order way on a vehicle or two but decided that Mavis offered the same price and I didn't have to deal with a mounter. One stop shopping and one top complaining if things go wrong.

Last edited by patchelect; 03-24-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2 size tires are *******ly the same size. The 245/70's are a hair bigger.

Look at discounttiredirect.com or treaddepot.com. Both offer free shipping and good prices. Im getting toyo's for my ram at 150.00 less than my local tire shop. Plus the fact my buddy can mount and balance them for free..

Quick Reply: New to me 2003 Dakota - Tire and other advice