2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leak at fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Dennisfc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak at fuel tank

I have a 2003 4.7 4 door Dakota and for some time now I can smell gas. I never seen any leaking. I finally noticed that where the fuel filler lines go into a plastic piece on the top of the tank it is starting to crack. A buddy of mine works at dodge and he looked it up and it is part of the tank. I really do not want to buy a new one (not cheep). Has anyone ever seen this before? If so how did you fix it.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Well, if it's cracked, you gotta replace it. You could try using RTV or something like that to seal it, but it's always better to replace the broken part with the correct replacement.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Dennisfc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the reply. I went under the truck yesterday and gave it a really good look and it is not cracked. Now I have to figure out why I smell gas sometimes. The engine light came on a few days ago and the code was P0456 small leak and that's when I looked and thought I seen a crack. I found a hose going to the throttle body that goes to the solenoid behind the battery was cracking bad at the throttle body. I fixed it and erased the code and so far the engine light is still off.

Quick Reply: Leak at fuel tank