2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Madmanmark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling

My 2000 V6 4x4 automatic Dakota is acting up. Sometimes when I put it in drive or reverse it stalls and the odd time while driving also but mostly when putting it in drive or reverse. It always starts no problem though. Started doing it alot today, its damp out today,wet snow and drizzle, maybe just coincidence. Also when I take the gas cap off it sucks alot of air but its been doing that for a while....is it a sensor ????....Help

Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the gas cap suction act is wrong. Mine never has done that. I'd start by looking at whatever vents or filters exist on the fuel tank as an issue, although probably not related to your stalling. Then I'd ask the old question about the plugs. How old and how many miles? Mine used to do random stalling, not necessarily when I put it in gear but when I was parking or going from forward to reverse. Started right up. Changed the plugs and wires (they had over 50K on them) and don't recall the last time it stalled. Not saying that you have the same issues, but you may.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Madmanmark

So anyways.....I guess Ill answer my own question incase anyone else is having the same problem. Turns out it was the crank shaft positioning sensor. Works great now.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your answer to your own question. I appreciate it! I may look into the problem being the same on my truck too.

And I guess the gas tank thing has no connection to the problem.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Madmanmark

Hey no problem.....still has the gas cap suction issue but its really not a problem though.

Quick Reply: Stalling