2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bake Noise (Dragging)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bake Noise (Dragging)

Hey Yall;

Well after all the work i put in to the ol girl i have an old problem that i thought i fixed back.. before i was having from the right side drum a dragging sound intermittent that would occur, you know that sound of brakes dragging when the surface is a bit rusty the first time they engage or so?

Well it kinda sounds like that intermittently.. we replaced the entire brake system.. front: rotors calibers upgraded police/service grade pads.. rear drums both spring kit assemblies (all the hardware) and brake cylinders.

Seemed fine afterwards but since i put the 32"'s on which are much heavier seems the sound returned but this time its not just the right side its both sides..

I'm starting to think about the master cylinder or ABS or something.. I dont feel anything off in the brakes when it happens.. just right as your coming to a stop.. almost when your stopped youll hear it almost like the pressure is increasing or decreasing and its forcing the drums to turn and your hearing it dragging..

It wont happen every time and i cant tell if its heat related or not but I do kinda seem to think it does it more the more stop/go you do when hot

Pops thinks its the ABS sensor in the rear malfunctioning causing the drums to lock up or something from too much pressure.. Im not sure.

I checked all my brakes lines nothing is kinked or anything i can tell everything looks good since the lift.. I was thinking maybee the extra touch of pressure on the emergancy cable could it cause the adjusters or anything to put more pressure on randomly?

I hope that best describes it and any ideas so im not throwing money swapping out bran new parts would be great.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

i meant to say brake booster not master cylinder

Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You sure its coming from the rear?

I'm thinking front Hubs have you replaced them at all?

Jack up the front and give the wheels a good strong back and forth jerks and spin each wheel around and listen for grinding it could be very faint.

As my front Hubs started grinding it sounded like it was coming from my rear also.

One last test if not sure is jack up the front pull the wheels off and spin the hubs listen for any sound be sure the brakes are not touching the rotor if touching back the pads off and re test. My Hubs sounded like they had sand in the bearings little pops and crackle but a very low sound.

With those big heavy tires it will work those Hubs harder than before.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Def the rear.. i've tested a few times and way and its def. coming from the *** end and the drums.. its brake related when i let off the brakes it will stop the noise and only happens when breaks engaged.. had someone listening and did process of elimination by window to determine its the *** end.. as well as someone in the bed doing testing in a parking lot.

Hubs are good i've checked them out before and they seem perfect..

Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

any other ideas?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:19 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Possibly something is installed wrong in the rear brakes wrong springs or wrong spot you understand what I'm saying.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 PM
WrenchMasters
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so you upgraded your brake pads? Did you also do the rear shoes ?
Because if the material for the shoes is to hard it will cause a dragging noise or
grinding sound. Check to see if the shoes glazed over you try taking sandpaper
to them to deglaze them.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Possibly something is installed wrong in the rear brakes wrong springs or wrong spot you understand what I'm saying.

Checked.. everything is installed correctly.. what we are stumped about is the indeterminacy of the issue...

Old 04-11-2015, 11:41 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WrenchMasters
Ok so you upgraded your brake pads? Did you also do the rear shoes ?
Because if the material for the shoes is to hard it will cause a dragging noise or
grinding sound. Check to see if the shoes glazed over you try taking sandpaper
to them to deglaze them.
They didn't offer any upgrade for the drums shoes.. i have to 10" brake system and used the silver from Advanced.

I'll check into that...

Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Lightbulb

You could have a bent backing plate or a worn backing plate some times the backing plate gets grooves were the shoes mount to the backing plate.

Only way to tell is pull the shoes off and inspect the backing plate if you have backing plate wear grooves this can cause the shoes to stick at times.

Called shoe support pads also

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-12-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Bake Noise (Dragging)