2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bake Noise (Dragging)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will deft look into that thanks dak..

Old 04-12-2015, 05:38 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

My backing plate had some deep grooves in them as my brakes had been frozen up for 6 years. They had some movement but very little.

Wish I had a few pic's for you my fix was file the grooves out been thinking of new backing plates but haven't noticed any problems.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Have not really had a chance to look at it all yet but been driving it and when its really alot of stop and go and temps get higher on the system it drags more i could hear something is warped back there or egg shapped tweet tweet tweet... when barley pressing the brake...

also heard a tweet sound when pressing the peddle as it engaged.. I'm about sure its the Bendix drum... one is Canada and one is China becasue that's all they had...

I'm going to replace the Drum, shoes (Under warranty) and check that backing.. I'm about sure this is something warped/warping..

Let you know if i run into something else and need any more advise.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 AM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default change brake lines

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Checked.. everything is installed correctly.. what we are stumped about is the indeterminacy of the issue...
I had the same problem it was bad brake hoses. They collapsed because they were soft hoses. I am sure its your brake hoses.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tspeed109
I had the same problem it was bad brake hoses. They collapsed because they were soft hoses. I am sure its your brake hoses.
So you just replaced all the hoses on the *** end anything rubber? the metal lines all look ok other than a little rust which im taking care of currently.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Wink

Well if your having problems I would replace them anyway they are cheap you may as well replace the front lines at the same time. I found my original hoses to be very hard and not very flexible don't think they were bad but why not the rear only has one if I remember from a line to a block on the Diff.

Maybe just start with the one back line see what happens also check your Diff breather while your under the truck kill two birds as they say.

Be careful you could break the hard line if its rusted up at all.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a limited-slip rear end? It sounds like it could be clutch noise. Is it worse if you're turning a little? Maybe stick a tube of friction modifier in there (or better yet, change the oil and then add friction modifier).

Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Tom A
Do you have a limited-slip rear end? It sounds like it could be clutch noise. Is it worse if you're turning a little? Maybe stick a tube of friction modifier in there (or better yet, change the oil and then add friction modifier).
No only when stopping.. when I did my LSD fluid change I used some valvoline that supposed to have the friction modifier in it..

Old 04-26-2015, 03:20 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Lets pull the drums off and take a ton of Pic's so we can see we may see something you dont take pic's of the drums also. then pull one side apart and start checking everything again.

Yea pulling drum brakes apart is no fun I dont like it myself those springs suck.

You may get lucky and find a pad came off a shoe it happens.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-26-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking

I almost forgot replacing the back flex line is not as easy as it sounds you will need to pull off each wheels hard line to the new block end of the new hose as you can see in the Pic's.

But I don't remember it as a hard to do DIY but one hard part was the parking brake line is attached to the same spot/stud as the flex line and its not user friendly.

Backing plate shoe mounting surfaces to check for wear

Quick Reply: Bake Noise (Dragging)