2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Do we have room for one more exhaust thread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:01 AM
usaftrevor87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do we have room for one more exhaust thread?

Sorry to post this, but I just need a little clarification...

So I recently picked up a 2000 Dodge Dakota that only has 84,000 miles, but has seen 14 Minnesota winters. The truck is actually really clean, but the headers are exposed in the front wheel wells and are getting pretty rusty.
I want to just switch out the entire exhaust because the muffler is starting to rust out as well & the pipes are leaking, etc... and figured "what the hell, why not". I've been looking at headers and exhaust systems online, but I really just want the best bang for your buck set up.
I have seen some of the higher end stuff and seen the $150 stainless ones on ebay; are they worth a damn? Has anyone on here used them before? I know the truck is "old", but plan to drive it into the ground and just want to get this exhaust taken care of. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Old 04-11-2015, 07:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Go catback. No need to replace everything, minimal gains. Unless you just have a bunch of money to spend.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 AM
usaftrevor87
Cool

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Go catback. No need to replace everything, minimal gains. Unless you just have a bunch of money to spend.
I was just gonna do it all because my hearders are starting to rust out. Just figured if im honna do catback i might as well do headers too
Any suggestions on best bang for your buck catbacks?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my dual kit off ebay for 230.00 That was a few years ago tho. Just replace your manifolds with stock ones and save some money. Honestly tho if they arent leaking I wouldnt mess with them. Did a ram with the 5.9 and broke a few bolts getting it off. Had to be welded just to get the bolts out... Was a total pita!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:13 PM
usaftrevor87

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I got my dual kit off ebay for 230.00 That was a few years ago tho. Just replace your manifolds with stock ones and save some money. Honestly tho if they arent leaking I wouldnt mess with them. Did a ram with the 5.9 and broke a few bolts getting it off. Had to be welded just to get the bolts out... Was a total pita!
Yea I suppose if they aren't leaking, then I'll leave them alone... Was gonna just try to be proactive, but the more i think about it for $250 for a cat back, that could be a nice compact amp and Infinity Kappa 6.5 speakers

Old 04-14-2015, 01:30 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I may be wrong, but I thought I've read where headers don't last all that long. Good old cast iron OEM jobbers hang in for years and years.

Quick Reply: Do we have room for one more exhaust thread?