2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil gauge whacky and knock.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

How have your oil change habits been and have you been using synthetic or conventional?

I ask because it's possible that your motor might be sludged and unable to properly pump oil from the sump. You could remove the oil pan and take a look. Either way, damage has been done.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
scurbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just bought it back in Dec and the previous owner said they had changed it. But they changed it at the shop when I brought it in.

It's weird though, it only really happens right after I slow down and take a turn and then accelerate again and that's when it starts to hesitate, it sort of like hiccups.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

First thing, put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and verify the oil pressure. The dash gauge can be wrong. You'll then know what's happening as you turn a corner too.

Where is the clunk? From the rear differential? Is this an auto or 5 speed? 4wd or not?

It's normal for the oil pressure gauge to vary a bit as you drive. If the engine is losing RPM then the oil pressure will drop.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 PM
JDak02
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your issue reminds me of an issue my parents 5.2 Durango had. On a warm start when accelerating the first time it would buck and cut out until u let off the pedal. Get back on it, straightened out.

Ended up being the pre-cat O2 sensor, and it never threw a code. Don't recall the oil pressure falling though. But it's possible since the engine is cutting out. For $30 on Rockauto, it may be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Oil gauge whacky and knock.