2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Small coolant loss - 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota~N~Camaro
I just replaced my upper hose/neck/cap after discovering it had a small leak between the hose and neck.

It was a very small leak and I just happen to find it one evening under the truck I could see a slight green coolant crust on the bottom of it.

Problem solved!

Did you replace both hoses that form the "T", or just one? Are those OEM plastic clamps screwed on? (weird design) I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Well, I replaced the coolant filler neck and I was still losing coolant. I got the pressure tester hooked up correctly this time, pressurized it and got under the truck. It took about two minutes then a slow drip started, increasing in speed. So the drip is coming from one of the heater bypass hoses, right above where it connects to the thermostat assembly. It's leaking right where the hose crimps to the metal line. The lines start out as about six inches of rubber hose, then crimps to the metal lines which run up and over the engine, under the hat. From there, rubber heater hoses connect and go into the firewall.

Pressure tester.... If anyone is wondering, you pump this up to the PSI stamped on the radiator cap, in my case 21 psi. Don't go over, as that can do damage.

Leak as seen from under truck.

This is where the leak is. You can see the wetness around the left hose crimp.

I think I should be able to cut the crimp off with a dremel, maybe cut off the leaky part of hose, and just throw a worm clamp on it. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-16-2015 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (05-10-2023)
Old 10-16-2015, 09:15 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I never took my hose assembly part to check it, I just replaced it, but that was when it was less than $30. Not sure of what they cost now.

They've been moved before, the worm clamps are a sure sign that someone has done something with the heater hose/tubes.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
They've been moved before, the worm clamps are a sure sign that someone has done something with the heater hose/tubes.

Yes, my PO records show heater hoses were replaced back in June, 2012...and they filled the radiator with DEX COOL.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Truck is running well, but still having a small coolant loss.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-16-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Okay guys, I finally ran a combustion leak chemical test and the news is not good. I do have a head gasket leak.

I don't know why my radiator pressure tests were good but I can surmise that it's because the leak is very slight. Still, it should have failed, I think. Also, the truck runs great like nothing is wrong. No overheats either. The only symptom I ever saw was this small coolant loss. I'm going to start a new head gasket thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3280004

Quick Reply: Small coolant loss - 4.7L