2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

changing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing fuel pump

Hi all i got my new fuel pump in and will be changing it out this week, what should i be looking for or careful of when am doing this . thoughts subjecting on making this a good swap. I still have to take a 1/2 tank of fuel out i only know old school way of hose and syphan the fuel out should i clean the inside of the tank out since i got it off the vehicle, i found a shop that will do the work for 150.00 not to bad but i really need to not spend the money on it.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:50 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Half a tank of gas is very heavy, try to either run it out first or siphon if you can, I do not know if Dakota tanks have an anti-siphon filler neck. There should be a mark on the tank to line up with a mark on the new pump so you can position the new pump correctly to get the correct travel for the fuel level sending unit. Be sure to relieve the fuel pressure in the system before you start the job. Pay close attention and take pictures of the metal protection panels on the tank before you remove it. It can be confusing to get them positioned correctly when reinstalling them. I would not think there would be a need to clean the tank out unless you see dirt or other debris in it when you remove the old pump. Do not smoke or cause any kind of sparks anwhere near the truck or the tank. It's not too bad of a job, I did mine by myself without too much trouble, it is just difficult to maneuver the tank around by yourself when taking it down and putting it back up.

Jimmy

Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

If yours is not the 4-door (crew) cab, you may want to pull the bed rather than drop a 1/2 tank of fuel (the bed should be lighter (!!!) )

Also, plan on running and picking up new hoses around the fuel pump. A 2000 should still have good ones, but my 1988 had cracks, rot, and general failure when I did my fuel pump. So all new hoses at the fuel tank was STRONGLY indicated.

Examine them first, then if in doubt at all, replace.

RwP

Old 10-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie

thanks all, it is a extra cab 2 door, or it is crew cab i can never remember, pretty sure there is a screen on the fill tube now that am thinking about it, will look into removing the bed , i got PTSD and get confused and frustrated very easy so got tp make this as easy as i can

Old 10-05-2015, 02:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

2 door is extended cab, 4 door is Crew Cab or Quad Cab. It's the 4 door that has the cab sitting over the tank *grins*

It's up to you of course, but my nephew and me (one time) or my stepson and me (the first time) can lift and slide the bed back to where the fuel tank is exposed on my standard cab 1988. And it's the 8 foot bed ... heaviest of the three.

And no, I'm not a weight lifter - I'm a computer geek, heaviest thing I usually lift is a big keyboard or a DVD pack *grins*

RwP

Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Bluedogcards
Rookie

Originally Posted by RalphP
2 door is extended cab, 4 door is Crew Cab or Quad Cab. It's the 4 door that has the cab sitting over the tank *grins*

It's up to you of course, but my nephew and me (one time) or my stepson and me (the first time) can lift and slide the bed back to where the fuel tank is exposed on my standard cab 1988. And it's the 8 foot bed ... heaviest of the three.

And no, I'm not a weight lifter - I'm a computer geek, heaviest thing I usually lift is a big keyboard or a DVD pack *grins*

RwP

Thank you

Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I just went out to my truck and laid on the ground so I could verify this. In my mind, the quad cab gas tank was all under the bed. Boy were you right. The damn thing is huge. Twenty four gallon and looks about six feet long, which is even longer than the bed itself.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally find it easier to take the bed off... While you might spend a little more time doing it you dont have to work trying to get the gas out or trying to lower a 1/2 full tank! When I did my fuel pump I had my bed off in about an hr.. its pretty simple.. Also gives you the good time to clean up the frame

IMG_0494.jpg

Quick Reply: changing fuel pump