2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hi/lo headlight beams issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM
mechanic80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the harness, Mike, but I wont pay $189 for something i can design myself with the help of those photos and schematics! So, you actually saved me a LOT of money. I also found an LED with low and hi beams so the relay idea will work because of the lower draw if the glare issue isn't a problem.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:01 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The main problem won't be glare, given your area and where you drive.

The PROBLEM is all that extra heat in the headlamp enclosure.

I'll repeat, better to put driving lights on to use in place of the high beams - or fog lights to run in place of the low beams - rather than run both filaments at the same time in a combined lamp.

But eh, your truck, your money, your time. When a filament burns out early, and you have trouble getting the bulb in and out due to the headlamp warping due to the heat (note: I had to replace my 2000 Malibu headlamps, using quad beams, with factory 9005/9006 bulbs, due to warpage ... ) just remember you were forewarned.

There's a few reasons why today's quad lamps aren't both at the same time. This is one of them.

RwP

Old 11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
totalrecall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Glad you got some ideas. When I did the mod on my chevy about 10 years ago - I don't remember the price being that high. It wasn't a harness just a relay with wires, but as I say that was quite a while ago. Am sure the company has changed product and inventory since them.

When I finally did install the kit I didn't use it that often at night - so I can't speak to the heat issue.

Congrats and wiring good luck

Mike

Quick Reply: hi/lo headlight beams issue