2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best aftermarket shocks & Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 10:14 AM
427HISS
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best aftermarket shocks & Tires ?

Hey guys, I was going to start up two threads, one for shocks and 2nd for tires, but I'll just ask for both in this one.

I live in Nebraska, so we get all weather conditions.

I have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab, 4 door, 2wd. The original tires are finally shot, so I'm replacing them. What do you recommend for shocks and,....why ?

What brand of tires and why ?

215/75/15

On the tires I'm looking at the....

Hankook Optimo 724

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. (heard these are good & bad)

Cooper Discoverer H/T

Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country 100S ORWL

I really prefer white lettering, but not a deal breaker.

Price is important and most are around are $100 each. +/- $15.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Our 2000 Dakota pic1.jpg (156.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Monroe Reflex shocks .
So many tire / wheel combinations ... search and or check pics

Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

That's like asking what's the best paint color. Agree in the Monroe shocks. Tires? It's really up to you to research and decide which is best for your driving conditions. Go to the tire sites and read reviews.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Even shocks are a very personal thing do you like a hard or soft ride more concerned with cornering or you just like a soft comfortable ride. What I like in a tire may be not what you want or like or have a need for it all depends on your needs and wants.

I had a post on tires and what they liked I didn't as I had very different needs and wants so it was no help.

Do your research be sure on what you need and want and pick.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 AM
chevelle68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised the original tires lasted you so long. They can be unsafe after 10 years.

I got the best Monroe shocks from autozone. lifetime warranty. normally replace them like every 3-4 years with approx. 1ok miles driven per year.

no comments on tire as you live in totally different climate than I do.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:35 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion (because that's what it comes down to, opinions )
Manroe shocks suck no matter what model.

Blistein, shocks rock and are the only shocks I will buy

I have tried
Firestone
Goodyear
Copper
Bridgestone

The tires I like on my 4x4 for all season driving (decent amount of snow) are
General grabber a/t

Oh and why I like Blistein shocks.. you can corner like a ferrari and they have WAY BETTER smooth ride over Manroe shocks..

Last edited by schusterjo; 12-11-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot the why...
Old 12-11-2015, 05:09 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from a 7 day deer hunt/visit in Illinois , even got to drive in snow in north central Illinois. Back to the shocks , i had no problem out cornering other trucks, many SUV and alot of cars on my 2500 mile trip thru the mountains each way. I also have a new front suspension/steering parts including thermoplastic bushings. I also have a nice set of wrangler kevlar tires. I also like to drive 'fast' sometimes. All that said , with my Reflex shocks , i would have beat your Durango up and down the mountain.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:44 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use the 235/75R15 and get a lot better tire. The Firestone Destination LE2 is a great tire but I don't know how they might do in snow. The LE2 was the best selling tire in the U.S. for a while, I have no idea if it still is now but I have a set on my truck with 30,000 miles and they are hardly worn at all. I get great traction whether on dry roads or in the rain, and it rains a lot here in Florida. The ride is great too, very quiet and smooth ride quality. The LE2 has a buy 3 get 1 tire free promotion going on at the Firestone Complete Auto Care stores now. If snow traction is important then check out the Destination A/T series.

Shocks really come down to personal preference. The Monroe Reflex was a great shock, I put 70,000 miles on a set on my truck. They don't make the Reflex for a 2 wheel drive Dakota any more so I tried a few others and finally bought Gabriel Ultra which is pretty much exactly the same ride quality and handling as the Reflex. I got mine at Autozone, I think they had a buy 3 get 1 free deal. The Ultrais a great shock, not too firm and not too soft either, great handling and braking characteristics.

Like others said, get online and read the reviews. It's all personal preference. I really like my Firestones and Gabriels though.

Jimmy

Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LIZZRD
Just got back from a 7 day deer hunt/visit in Illinois , even got to drive in snow in north central Illinois. Back to the shocks , i had no problem out cornering other trucks, many SUV and alot of cars on my 2500 mile trip thru the mountains each way. I also have a new front suspension/steering parts including thermoplastic bushings. I also have a nice set of wrangler kevlar tires. I also like to drive 'fast' sometimes. All that said , with my Reflex shocks , i would have beat your Durango up and down the mountain.
I am assuming this was directed towards me.. first let's start by saying it's not 2500 mile trip from north Carolina to Illinois "oneway" roughly 800 miles oneway meaning 1600 mile round trip.
2nd comparing shocks to shocks that you have never used before absolutely makes no sense ( if you had used Blistein you would of said so). I have therefore I can give a educated opinion unlike your rambling.
3rd I drive for a living meaning I am pretty positive my driving skills are just a little more refined then yours. Not to mention you have absolutely no ideal what modifications I have done to my D (and I can tell you it's tons from .30 over,fastman tb, Martin sain tranny ,m1 intake, heads from indy cylinder heads just to name a few) so, again we would go back to your opinion about beating me as being a uneducated one.

Lol just because I said Manroe shocks suck... sorry I hurt you're feelings (not)

Old 12-12-2015, 01:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have never used Bilstein Shocks you just don't know what a good shock is I have also used Mickey Thompsons and wow they were great. But they are on the stiff side. I had both on my Baja Bug they could take anything with ease and smooth I loved them. A good quality shock is hard to find in my opinion all too many are junk at a high price.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket shocks & Tires ?