2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Strange brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange brake pedal

Have a few issues going on with my Dak....this one in particular is that when/if I brake hard I hear a fast electrical type clicking coming from either down by the pedal or under the dash. It's not like when the ABS is activated and you get the clicking and the pedal moving, it's just a loud almost clicking type sound under there.

Also after about 100 miles or so of driving my pedal will start to feel soft. If I push the pedal all the way to the floor (while stopped) and hold it there for a few seconds, then let off...all of a sudden the pedal/brakes are now tight again...until like 100 miles later, then it starts to get soft again. Rear disc brakes, not drums. Also the brake pedal squeaks a bit when it's pushed.

All calipers and flex lines have been replaced within 10K miles and system bled numerous times. I've had a few brake lines replaced due to rust, one actually split and I lost all brakes. But from what I can see I don't have any other rusted/leaking brake lines.

Last edited by Dakmm; 12-24-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:56 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A soft pedal usually means air in the system - but I don't think that's the case here. Have you done any work to the master cylinder or booster?

There are ports that allow the fluid to return when the pedal is "up." If the ports aren't opening all the time then it can cause the soft pedal problem.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Pull off rear disk/drum. Make sure the lining of your parking brake shoes haven't fallen off and are rolling around. Happened to me and to others.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
A soft pedal usually means air in the system - but I don't think that's the case here. Have you done any work to the master cylinder or booster?

There are ports that allow the fluid to return when the pedal is "up." If the ports aren't opening all the time then it can cause the soft pedal problem.

I haven't done anything to the master since I bought it, I was thinking I could have an issue within the master.

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Pull off rear disk/drum. Make sure the lining of your parking brake shoes haven't fallen off and are rolling around. Happened to me and to others.
I replaced those once, about 10K ago. They wouldn't have an issue on any braking issues/soft pedal though.

Anyone know what that buzzing noise is under hard braking? It is when the pedal is pushed down hard and goes further down than normal...it's like an electrical bussing type noise, from under the dash or down by the pedal, can't tell.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:00 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The buzzing could be the ABS kicking in.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Dakmm
Professional

I was thinking that noise could be something with the ABS but it is not the usual loud clicking you hear and there is no pulsation in the pedal, just this buzzing noise under there somewhere. It's under hard braking when the pedal is down further than normal and for some reason my pedal always seems to go further than normal. Happens even when there's no wheel slip or anything associated with braking, like rain, snow or ice.

Quick Reply: Strange brake pedal