2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

it's the remote starters fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:10 PM
JOEC3082
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's the remote starters fault

I have little to no experience with vehicles. None with Dakotas

My buddy made me an offer i couldn't refuse and i needed a project so i gladly accepted. It's a 97 dodge dakota. But i was told it had the engine from a 98 r/t, the 5.9L. It was running when i got it. Not great but running. It also came with an after market remote starter that i was told was disabled. You could see it hanging under driver side dash.

I had previously joined a diff fourm seeking help but i forget which forum it was. Every time i opened the door to get in, the headlights would flash, security light on the instrument panel would flash and it wouldnt start. I learned i had tripped the factory security system which in turn cuts out the fuel pump. So i was told to turn the key to the lock position in the door twice quickly and then to the left quickly to disarm security. That didnt work.*

So for some odd ball reason i decided to uninstall the remote starter. Which i just finished doing. That's all i did. I just removed it. I didn't reconnect any wires or anything cause i didn't know if i was supposed to.

Then i thought id try the key trick in passenger door and of course it worked lol. Imagine that.*

So i have the factory securtiy system disabled and i tried to fire it up and wont even turn over. When i turn the key to the first position the dashboard lights up but when i go to start, nothing at all happens. So im thinking i screwed up the wiring when i unhooked the remote start.

Ive been searching for a wiring diagram but no luck. Does anyone know where one is available? Better yet does anyone know the procedure to installing/uninstalling a remote start?.

Let me know if theres more info yall need in order to help me get this thing running. Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited by JOEC3082; 01-29-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-29-2016, 04:14 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would help to know what make a model remote start system it is..

See if this helps
http://www.jkbweb.net/fsm/2000_Dakota_FSM.pdf

Old 01-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The remote starter is probably spliced into the wire from the key switch to the starter. follow the wires from the remote starter and you should be able to see where the wire was cut and the two ends were connected to the remote unit's wires. Just connect them back together.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 PM
JOEC3082

Originally Posted by Tom A
The remote starter is probably spliced into the wire from the key switch to the starter. follow the wires from the remote starter and you should be able to see where the wire was cut and the two ends were connected to the remote unit's wires. Just connect them back together.
Hey thanks again for the replies. A big thanks for the manual. That's gonna help a ton. The remote starter was a CA-500. I knew that because it was printed on the device. I Googled it and found the installation manual for the Code Alarm 500.

I have already disassembled the device so im gonna have to look over the diagram and find the starter wire to connect it back together.

I'm gonna get to it ASAP and I'll let yall know the results. Thanks again

Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 AM
JOEC3082
Default Finally got to it

Originally Posted by JOEC3082
Hey thanks again for the replies. A big thanks for the manual. That's gonna help a ton. The remote starter was a CA-500. I knew that because it was printed on the device. I Googled it and found the installation manual for the Code Alarm 500.

I have already disassembled the device so im gonna have to look over the diagram and find the starter wire to connect it back together.

Hey everyone, it's been quite a while but

Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM
JOEC3082
Default Finally got to it

Originally Posted by JOEC3082

Hey everyone, i thought I'd let everyone know she's finally running. Due to weather and the fam i haven't really had much time play.

I have a mechanic buddy and he mentioned something about a park/neutral safety switch and that i should turn the key to the on position and run it through the gears and then try starting it. So i did that and it fired right up. Case closed.

So now i move on to other things. Just basic stuff, oil, plugs, etc. Im sure I'll be back with another problem soon so until then. Thanks to everyone who replied

Quick Reply: it's the remote starters fault