2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 AM
jpuder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

Hi all, first time poster.

I've got a 2001 quad cab, two wheel drive, 4.7. Last month I finally had to replace the OEM tires. I went with Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs. While at the tire shop, they realigned the front end, and turned my brake rotors. On the way home my steering wheel wasn't straight so not even 2 blocks away I was calling back, they said to bring it right back. Since it was getting late on Friday afternoon, I told him I would be back first thing in the morning and went on home (which includes about 10 miles interstate). Immediately after I got up to speed (65-70) on the interstate I felt a vibration in the steering wheel.

So, next morning (Saturday) up first thing and back to Hidbon Tires Plus. After 5 hours, the steering wheel was centered and they rebalanced the tires. As I was driving home I still felt vibration, but not as bad.

By Tuesday the vibration was really getting to me. I took it to another Hibdon's, one closer to work to get it checked out. The couldn't get two of the tires to balance, so they broke the beads and rotated the tires 180 degrees on the rim, only then were they able to get the tires balanced. Again when I left I could still feel a vibration in the 65 to 70 mph range. So the following Saturday (1 week) I went back to the original Hibdon's and got different tires installed. This time Yokohama Geolanders.

Now 4 weeks later I still feel vibration in the steering wheel. Its not bad, but like if I'm going down the interstate and I hit a dip, or something that lifts the truck up for a split second, the wheel really shakes until it comes back down.

I'm wondering, I've gone through two different brands of tires and still have the problem. Could it be either a brake rotor out of balance, or could they have jacked something up with the alignment? Any suggestions appreciated, THANKS!

P.S. I wouldn’t recommend Hibdon’s Tires Plus on northwest expressway in Oklahoma City. While I was there the first time I watched them drive a car out without reinstalling an oil filter. Great mess it made in the parking lot! I should’ve know then to run!!

Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration

Ask them to swap the fronts to the rear and see if it goes away. It could be a rotor, rim or possible alignment issue. If it stays there after the 2nd set of tires then I would say that it is other issues then the tires. By spinning the tires like they did the changed the weight placement on the rim. Ask them if they do it again to match mount them, what this does is match the heavy spot on the tire to the light spot on the rim thus place the weights at an optimum spot. As for the alignment there is a few things that could cause issues I would see if there is another shop in your erea that offers free alignment checks and see waht they come up with. Ask them to see the numbers before and after. Most aslignment shops will print and keep a copy of the alignment in case issues arise.

Quick Reply: Vibration