2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Blower motor. 98 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016 | 07:33 PM
BobbyB
|
Amateur
Default Blower motor. 98 Dakota

The blower has not been working. About 10% of the time the blower will come on, then it comes off. Noticed that when it works, it only works at the max speed.

I removed the cowl and got to the resistor. All connections with the plug were so rusted, that one of the pins broke into the plug (was able to take it out). Could this be the resistor that is causing the blower not working? Fuses are good.

If I were to replace the resistor, what chemical/spray is good for removing rust from the plug?

Replacing the plug would be an extremely tough job, due to the location, but I can see how I can be patient and extend the wire by using crimp connectors, then into a new plug.

Would it be worth doing this, or is there another way of going about it?

Old 06-09-2016 | 07:54 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

The only other way is to drop the dash you don't need to completely drop it just tilt it out to the point you can get to the fan harness.

In this Pic you can see it on top center of the dash

Old 06-09-2016 | 08:07 PM
BobbyB
|
Amateur
Default Blower motor. 98 Dakota

Mama mia! I don't know what's worse, this pic of yours or navigating through the cowl. I was able to remove it. So I think I will extend the cable some 6 more inches and attach the plug again. I think I can use the crimper slowly and patiently by having it all the way in, sideways, and extend the cables one by one. The rust was incredible.

So you think its the resistor? Since the blower, when it was coming on, was only functioning at fast speed

Old 06-09-2016 | 11:34 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Yea an old Pic I had but you see the resistor pack connector in the middle of the dash right on the top middle right below the word especially?

Quick Reply: Blower motor. 98 Dakota