2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Body Lift Steering Extension

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body Lift Steering Extension

This piece of garbage extension from Performance Products what it now Daystar has so much play it's like driving a bean wagon. I even tried to tighten the shaft with my impact and it still has play. Been waiting since February for them to mail me a replacement. Needless to say they don't care, numerous calls and nothing so I would say Daystar Products sucks lol.

Anyway how I can I avoid using this. I have a brand new rack and pinion as the original had a leak to be fixed needed new bushings and inner tie rods I figured replace the whole thing, and also I have a new lower steering shaft coming in.

So I need to figure a way get all this hooked back up without the crap box extension.

Any ideas?

Does the factory shaft have enough play just to slide it out and hook it directly to the rack and pinion?

2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 4X4 with a 3" body lift and another 3" on the suspension. Running LT265/75/16 not sure if any of this matters but just leaving it here incase someone needs to know.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:10 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would be better off to just pull the steering shaft off ( 2 bolts) then mark it, cut it, weld in a new extended section...

Old 07-31-2016, 05:14 PM
Dakota~N~Camaro
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen somewhere that the 2wd shaft is the same as the 4wd except it's a inch longer. Anyone know if that's true and if it would work?

Cutting and welding is a last resort, I rather keep the warranty on the new steering shaft.

Thanks for the help so far.

Quick Reply: Body Lift Steering Extension