2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

interior lighting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM
somedaysoon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lighting issue

Hi everybody, new to the forum. So I'm redoing my interior, and I decided to get some leds for the inside lighting. When I was parking my truck last night I noticed that both the front and rear led were glowing a bit. So I moved a bulb around abit and they went off. Problem is none of them would come back on that way either. So I put it back the way it was (slightly glowing) and the switch worked fine. Funny thing is when I unplug the front dome or visa versa fixtures wouldn't glow and would work as it should. I don't know much about electrical. Is it one of the harnesses? Do I need a larger Fuze for led? Were is it located. Thanks for your opinions everybody

Ps it's a 2004 sport club 4x4 v6 5 speed

Last edited by somedaysoon; 08-22-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by somedaysoon
Hi everybody, new to the forum. So I'm redoing my interior, and I decided to get some leds for the inside lighting. When I was parking my truck last night I noticed that both the front and rear led were glowing a bit. So I moved a bulb around abit and they went off. Problem is none of them would come back on that way either. So I put it back the way it was (slightly glowing) and the switch worked fine. Funny thing is when I unplug the front dome or visa versa fixtures wouldn't glow and would work as it should. I don't know much about electrical. Is it one of the harnesses? Do I need a larger Fuze for led? Were is it located. Thanks for your opinions everybody

Ps it's a 2004 sport club 4x4 v6 5 speed
That's the nature of LEDs. O recommend to do some googling.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Normal operation of LED bulbs as mentioned. It's called a trickle discharge, or "ghosting". Because LEDs take so little power to operate when they are left in a circuit, even if off, you can still have a small amount of power making them glow. I've heard canbus LED bulbs do no have this issue.

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-24-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: interior lighting issue