2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Caster allignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 AM
krahh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster allignment

Is too much caster a problem? Spec says max should be 3.6, the allignment report shows 4.1 right and 4.2 left

Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

I gave up on trying to make caster right, and just deal with the tire wear. Camber is the more important number to have right.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

caster is not a tire wear angle. its the tilt of the steering axis not the tire. It will not wear tires.

as long as the cross caster (left to right difference) is within 0.5 degrees you are fine. large cross caster will cause a pull to the side with the more negative caster reading.

yes, its adjustable. The upper control arm is slotted. Would you notice a difference in dropping it back to spec...nope. Some alignment techs don't want to adjust it. Maybe the adjusters are rusted/seized and may break, maybe they are lazy, maybe they realize adjusting it won't change anything noticeable.

Extremely positive caster can cause a high speed shimmey but you are not near that. So if you have no shimmey, no pulls...leave it, your fine.

Last edited by primem; 01-08-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:04 PM
krahh

Thank you for the answers, I really appreciate that.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM
krahh

One more question for you guys, what do you think about this report?
They charged me for full 4 wheel allignment but didnt touch rear at all. I know that on some vehicles rear wheel allignment cannot be done. Thank you again

bigger version of image: https://s29.postimg.org/v207ir3t3/15...80441616_o.jpg

Old 01-08-2017, 04:58 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

too faded to see...
cross camber and/or cross caster can cause pull. caster wont wear tires.
when I was an alignment guy I'd try to set camber as close to even as I could and set driver side caster 1/4-1/2 degree less than other side for road crown.
one consideration; id the back end level or sagging or sitting up higher than the front? As the rear end gets jacked up, caster will fall. as it sags, caster will increase.
we used to have charts for such trucks as dump trucks and flat beds and tow trucks, and it is dependent on wheel base, (longer frame=less drastic change)
It's been a while/ but as I remember for every inch the frame went up in the back it was like 3/4 degree of caster lost. some of these trucks ride height can vary greatly dependent on load.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

good point
frame angle and ride height should be measured but few people do; due to the time required.

as far as what they charged for the alignment

mitchell flat rate times for a 2 wheel thrust alignment is 1.5hours and 2.0hours for a 4wheel. Multiply the door hourly rate by that time.

you should not be charged 2.0 hours as there are no adjustments for the rear on a solid axle truck. They may charge more time if parts are seized that they need to adjust.

viewing the printout. the tech made the appropriate adjustments. If the steering is centered and has no pulls, your golden.

bet this was done by a dodge dealer

Quick Reply: Caster allignment