2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 Dodge Dakota won't Idle when cold stArt issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Matthew wertman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Dakota won't Idle when cold stArt issue

Hey everyone. I've got a 1997 Dakota that I just got. I live in Md and got it last Wed. At the first cold start I had to it wouldn't idle somi held the gas until it got warm and it was ok. Went to get battery check and it was low so I just got a new batttery Sun 2 days ago. All good til today. It happened again on a 30 degree Morning. I only had to hold the gas for a about 30 sec this time so I don't think it's the battery. Any thought would be very appreciated as I just bought this thing and am in the (from 93 s-10 manual to getting used to 1997 Dakota) mode. It drives like butter but already giving me an issue. It has 170k on it. Thanks Dakota family.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM
Matthew wertman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....my Dakota is a 2 wheel automatic

Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Think the first thing I would do is yank the throttle body, and clean it out real good. The IAC bore likes to gunk up, and then you get weird idle issues.

Next thing I would do, is a complete tuneup. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve. See if that doesn't improve it's attitude at all.

Welcome to DF! You want to check out the second gen Dakota section.