2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer case motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case motor

My daughter's 2001 Dakota Quad cab 4x4 needs a transfer case motor according to a transmission shop. They said it stopped working and has the truck stuck in four wheel drive and its causing the back tires to drag or lock. She lives 2+ hours away and I'm going to attempt to fix it, disable it or replace the transfer case motor. It looks like from a picture it has three bolts and a wire plug/harness. Are they simple to get out? I'm very mechanical, just wondering if it requries special tools since I will have to bring them with me, or if they are stuck in four wheel drive they are hard to get out. I have tapped on the motors before and they have worked temporarily. If I can get it to work will unpluging the harness keep it from attemping to engage again? My Chilton's is not helpful at all. All info would be helpful. Thanks

Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a lot more to removal than 3 bolts and a harness. You can't get it out until you remove the front propeller shaft. You'll also need to remove the companion flange on the transfer case - think impact tools.

REMOVAL
(1) Raise the vehicle on a suitable hoist.
(2) Remove the front propeller shaft.
(3) Disengage the wiring connectors from the shift motor and mode sensor.
(4) Remove the front output shaft companion flange from the transfer case.
(5) Remove the bolts holding the shift motor and mode sensor assembly onto the transfer case.
(6) Separate the shift motor and mode sensor assembly from the transfer case.

You can download the entire 2001 Factory Service Manual here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur

I can't get those manuals to open. I could do all that if it was in my drive way and that's what I'm trying to do is get it home due to other problems. You sound like you have done it before and know what yo're taking about. If I get it to shift while tapping on it or playing with the fuse, switch, rocking the truck etc. or disconnecting the battery, can I just disconnect the wire to stop it from shifting and engaging 4WD?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur

What about just removing the front propeller shaft, can the truck be driven with it stuck in 4wd? I watched a video, I see what you are talking about, is the companion flange somewhat cone shaped? If it has a center bolt do you know what the torque is on it?

Old 03-10-2017, 10:13 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

/\ This.

Just remove the front driveshaft. It's the easiest and safest option.