2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Won't Idle at Start but fine after moving

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Mpkelly58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you everyone for your help, I read someones thread and it was suggested to remove the negative from the battery and turn the ignition to start and hold it 20 seconds or so. Well I did remove the (-) and cleaned both the post and the clamp. I was told that removing the battery will reset the computer. Well great thing it worked! The problem went away and it is running like a champ again. I tested it several times last night and I just took it for a run this morning and its all good.
Now I am just wondering what messed up the computer so it needed reset? I like to know if there is anything I should look for?
Thanks again

Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Mpkelly58
Angry It Started the problem again!

The idle problem started again. However I experiment with it and I found 2 things. If I start it and hold it to about 1200 RPMs for a few seconds it will idle after I release the gas pedal about 3 out of 5 times. The other thing I found is that if I hold the ignition switch in the start position a little longer than it takes the motor to start, then it will idle fine. Is the fuel pump going bad?

Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Mpkelly58

Hey everyone thanks for your help......it was a cracked hose on the pvc and a clogged pvc.. replaced now all is good.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont be surprised if it comes back.. If it doesnt then thats good but if it does then ill give ya some more info.. My 98 5.2 did the same thing.. These trucks are very picky on getting the correct voltage.. Any bad connections can make them go crazy.. I knew what my problem was.. When Id go to start it the battery connections wouldnt make good contact causing a no start.. If I went and wiggled them the truck would start but wouldnt idle till I held it at like 1,200 rpms for 15-30sec.. Fixed it when I changed out the terminals on the battery cables