2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PRNDL Indicator Vs. Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Reshrick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRNDL Indicator Vs. Neutral Safety Switch

Hey Guys!

I just got a 99 Dakota Sport 4x4 Auto Trans w/V6 motor. It's having an issue starting. There is a small amount of slop in the shifter column (very small) and the PRNDL Indicator is slightly off the mark.

It seems that the truck doesn't start as if the Neutral Safety Switch is out.

However, every now and then, when I lift up on the shifter, it will turn over and run.

My Question:
Does the PRNDL Indicator on the Column have any effect on the Neutral Safety feature?

There is a small thumb-wheel under the steering column that adjusts the little "Red Mark" showing you what gear you're in. If I place it in "Park", I can still adjusts the red mark off and back on to the "P" position. If this red mark is out of alignment, I'm wondering if it will prevent the motor from starting??

Just didn't want to replace the Switch without knowing for certain that it's the culprit.

If you have any experience with this or ideas, I sure would appreciate hearing from ya.

Many Thanks!
Rick

Old 05-05-2017, 02:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

No. That **** just adjusts the pointer.

Start by checking the adjustment of the gearshift cable.

Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into Park.
(2) Release cable adjuster lock (underneath the power brake booster) to unlock cable.
(3) Raise vehicle.
(4) Slide cable eyelet off transmission shift lever.
(5) Verify transmission shift lever is in Park detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward detent is Park position.
(6) Verify positive engagement of transmission park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(7) Slide cable eyelet onto transmission shift lever.
(8) Lower vehicle and check engine starting. Engine should start only in Park and Neutral.
(9) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster clamp down until it snaps into place.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Reshrick

Thanks Dan,
I'll adjust the cable when I get home from work.
Last night, I was actually able to get it to start. If it didn't start in Park, it started in Neutral. If it didn't start in Neutral, it would start in Park.

I'll check the cable tonite & let ya know.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

yes, sounds like the NSS / shifter cable on the transmission has become out of adjustment with the physical shifter/indicator on the dash.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Reshrick

Thanks Magnethead,
Do you know how I might go about getting them back in alignment?
I haven't had a chance to follow DakDan's adjustment yet, but planned on working on it this weekend.

Any help is really appreciated!
Rick

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

When you crawl under the truck you'll see where the cable goes onto the trans, right next to the starter on the driver side. The cable goes into a bracket which has 2 bolts holding it onto the transmission case. I am pretty sure that the cable is solidly affixed at that point, but perhaps there is a small adjustment. The end of the cable snaps onto the shifter arm with a ball linkage similar to the throttle cable. Next to the shifter arm, you'll see a small black box with 4 or 5 wires coming off of it. One of these wires is power, one is ground, one is the reverse lights signal (power output by the switch), and another is the NSS signal (is grounded by the switch). You should be able to pop this switch out without losing any fluid, and examine the plunger for any debris. It is held on by torx bolts as I recall.

Dan's suggestion is the FSM procedure, so you can try that while you're down there.