2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Where does the air enter the HVAC unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where does the air enter the HVAC unit?

I had a pack rat, my truck reeks like rat **** and poop whenever I have the vents on after the engine heats up...and only when i'm moving slowly or stopped.. My initial thought is "oh god it got into the heater core or blower motor"

But, upon some research it seems like the air enters the HVAC unit from the upper passenger dash, and that the air enters this unit from the cowl; between the windshield and hood. If this is the case, it seems like a large size rat would not be able to access any of the HVAC system.

To further support this, I have realized the air only smells bad if i am idling, or if I am driving less than about 40mph. This tells me that when moving slow or stopped, its just sucking in ambient reek-air from the under hood area, and when i am moving at speed, the fresh air is present and flooding the HVAC.

So, can anybody tell me where the outside air comes in to the HVAC? is it the cowl area?

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 06-06-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

yes it is the cowl at the base of the windshield, when not in recirculation mode. I am not sure where it comes from when recirculation is turned on.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magnethead
yes it is the cowl at the base of the windshield, when not in recirculation mode. I am not sure where it comes from when recirculation is turned on.
cool thanks, thats good news. it stands to reason that an animal of any significant size would not be able to enter the blower motor area.