2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota 4x4 brake issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:41 PM
jessfranklin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Dakota 4x4 brake issues?

Hey everyone,
I'm hoping a Dakota expert can point me in the right direction here. I recently purchased a 2002 Dakota V8 4.7 4x4. It required quite a bit of work to get it up and running. The only thing left on the list is it's spongy brake pedal. We bled the hell out of the lines (which had to be replaced, front to back), to no avail. We changed the master cylinder. We changed the calipers. Finally got a stiff pedal. Went to drive, and the passenger caliper was seized. We tried to c clamp it to compress the piston. Nadda. Ended up having to pry it off. We put the old caliper back on. Same thing! It seized on! So obviously it wasn't just a fluke. It seems like every step of the way here there have been about 100 steps backwards. I just wanna drive my truck out to camp! Anyone have any advice? I'm reading to replace the brake hose, as it could be damaged. I just don't want to spend any more unnecessary money on it. Why would two calipers seize up?!
Thanks in advance

Editing to add:
When trying to get the caliper off the first time, we cracked the bleeder, and even took the whole line off, hoping it would help. It didnt.

Last edited by jessfranklin; 06-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:36 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

just a forewarn, you're going to have brake pedal issues until you get a dealer/shop to cycle the ABS solenoids to get the air out of them, or drive it around/run on jackstands and purposefully activate the ABS system.

As to the caliper...I have no idea. Relieving the line pressure should do it, not sure why it didnt

Old 05-20-2018, 11:33 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

after opening the bleeder screw; if the piston pushes back...the piston is not seized. seized pistons do not push back even with the bleeder open.

C-clamps are not the best tool to use...they will push back pretty much anything; so you can miss an actual seized piston...use a piston tool.

When you changed the master cylinder....the booster push rod...is it fixed or does it have an adjustment? The pedal should have free play...if there is none...the fluid can't flow back to the m/c after the pedal is released