2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tailgate latch issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:55 PM
zeus661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate latch issue

Have a problem with the tailgate on my 2002 dakota. It will not latch when you close it. The problem is in the handle you use to open it. Somewhere in that mechanism it is gummed up and not allowing the two rods to move back into the original position. It is NOT an issue with the latches and pins. I know how to physically move the levers back to make it latch and I am tired of doing that.

How can I get to the center area of the tailgate to get spray into the handle part to free it up? This tailgate has been sprayed with Line-X and the three star bolts in the center are covered.

Any suggestions and if I remove the three bolts what will fall apart and **** me off?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

They sprayed over the bolts? I was lucky then, they didn't.

Anyways, remove the bolts. The handle assembly will them be loose and you can work it out of the tailgate far enough to see the rods and where they connect to the handle. In my case everything was pretty well covered in crud and once I cleaned them the latches worked correctly.

You will need to pull the trim piece off around the handle assembly too. It slides in if I remember right.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 PM
zeus661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get it apart and it was so bad I ended up drilling out the rivet thing and cleaning it up and fabricating a new bolt instead of the rivet. the rust was so bad I had to used a power sander. left the bolt a little looser so it may last longer. Locktite on the nut