2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A few questions towards other Dakota Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Balboa7499
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions towards other Dakota Owners

Hello everyone! New here to the Forum but not new to Dodge, so far I've owned 5 and they've all came back to haunt me at some point lol

Anyway as of right now I have a 99 Dakota with the 318, 5 speed manual transmssions, sport package, 4wd.

My question #1
I want to install cab lights, running lights, clearance lights, what ever you want to call them. I know on the 3/4 ton and 1 ton rams they have holes already "drilled" under the headliner, is the Dakota's the same way?

Question #2
I have always wanted to be able to have a 2nd gen Ram and fix it up how I want to, ya know? The customization to my style and liking not someone elses. I'm finally making enough money to do so, and this Dakota is not in bad shape, however... The very back of the frame has a decent bit of rust on it, and so does the cab under the windshield. That little lip where the windshield sits? Yeah right there... The fenders have been replaced so they are rust free and the rockers are just now starting to bubble paint.

What would you guys do? I mean I like this truck and want to spend some money to make it my way but I don't wanna dump money into if its not gonna last a while...

The back of the frame I plan on taking a grinder to get the rust off and put some of that stop rust paint on the whole frame. As for the cab on that lip, I'm not sure... Any suggestions?

Questions #3
When I set up those cab running lights I mentioned earlier, I want to wire them into a toggle switch, my question is where should I run the power from to that toggle? I want a live wire that way even if the key is off but that toggle is on those lights are on.

Question #4
I'm sure there are other posts on this one especially but... I am thinking of a lift kit, all of my research has led me to the conclusion if I want to do 6 inches I'm looking at well over a grand just for parts... Anyone know of any place to get a decent 6inch lift for a Dakota?
Preferably suspension, if its a body lift 3in max...

Anyway thanks guys! Again I'm sure some of these have been posted else where but I couldn't find them, plus its easier to have it all condensed into one place.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

So far as I know, the Dakota's never came with clearance lights, so, I wouldn't bet on the roof being stamped to make it easy for ya. You will have to measure and mark, and go from there.

Pull power for them directly from the battery, you can use an inline fuse.

Bodywork..... Think it would go poking around with a pick, and see just how bad the rust is. If you can easily poke holes in it, in a lot of places, decide how much money you want to spend on body work...... Keeping in mind, body work just ain't cheap.

With the independent front suspension, lift kits are not going to be cheap. That said, get one from a known brand name, of good quality. It IS your suspension after all, NOT a place to cheap out.

I am not a fan of body lifts.......