2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:34 PM
Chache'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this forum

Hi all,
I'm a 72 year old kid. Living on Soc. Sec.
I don't feel like I'm 72 except for the joints...!

Three years ago, I bought an almost ready for the scrap heap 2000 Dakota 3.9L 2 dr club cab,
and have been slowly bringing it back to " good looking..

Some of the resto projects have included:
All new tires, new brake discs, new pads, grease job, replaced the water pump, new Battery, Flush and fill the Cooling system, recharge the A/C, replaced Plugs and wires, new stereo system, new Ext Rear View mirrors ( larger ones), a repaint,
new button tufted headliner, and a Tonnau cover for the bed. New Headlight assemblies with LED day- lights controlled by a roof panel from a 93 Bonneville, with its own individual interior lighting.
Previous owner ran it into the ground.... and did no maint. and the clearcoat was doing its thing...Peeling!

Roof was rusted, and I ground that away and filled the deeper spots to level. Repaint, is Rustoleum's "Kelly Green" enamel, with a hardener. It is doing well under this Southern Texas heat and Sun.
The 5 spd std. trans has a tendancy to pop out of gear in 1st and 3rd every once in a while, but I can live with that for now.
Two years ago, I had a problem where the Voltmeter would suddenly register +20 volts.... after driving for 10 - 15 minutes.. turned out to be a faulty ECU. Replaced that, and its been good to me ever since.. except for now, when it registers absolutely no charging at all after running for 5 - 10 minutes. I have a second voltmeter reading only the battery voltage, and that concurs with the dash meter.

If I shut down the ignition, and restart, it charges again for a few minutes, and stops charging again.
So that's where I am now.

Looking to get confirmation that I need to replace (again) the ECU.
So what do you all think??

Thanks in advance.
Chache'

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016-02-17 12.15.27.jpg (267.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg
Dakota.jpeg (317.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to the correct area. I have no idea what link you were trying to paste in your post, but it loaded up the whole page with gibberish, so I removed it. Maybe try it again if it is relevant.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Chache'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issue

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Welcome to the forum. I moved your post to the correct area. I have no idea what link you were trying to paste in your post, but it loaded up the whole page with gibberish, so I removed it. Maybe try it again if it is relevant.
Thank You!
No link being pasted by me, just the two pics, which came thru.

Hopefully there's someone that can give me a bit of advice on the latest charging issue...

Now, it registers absolutely no charging at all after running for 5 - 10 minutes. I have a second voltmeter reading only the battery voltage, and that concurs with the dash meter.

If I shut down the ignition, and restart, it charges again for a few minutes, and stops charging again.

The battery now won't crank the engine...

That's where I am now.

Thanks again.
Chache'