2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering Knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017 | 08:04 PM
perrylangill
|
Question Steering Knuckle

I was told that my steering knuckle needs to be replaced by an amateur mechanic to fix the play in my steering wheel. I looked for myself and what I saw is the knuckle itself looks rusted as hell and when I follow the shaft below the knuckle about 6-10 inches there is a U-Joint that looks like it loose when I move the steering wheel, but the knuckle itself doesn't seem to move at all.

Names and/or definitions of the parts involved would be appreciated. Is that section called the "steering shaft", "steering column", or "loose rod" for instance.

Does this mean the knuckle is ok but the u-joint below is the faulty part leading to play in the steering? Also, if I order a new steering knuckle does it come with more than the bare steering knuckle or the whole section including that u-joint?

2001 Dodge Dakota 5.9L V8 4WD, 4 wheel ABS (last stat critical to steering knuckle part number, not sure if helpful to any of you looking at this post)

perrylangill.com

Old 09-13-2017 | 01:13 AM
44dakota
Veteran

if you have slop in your steering it can be from worn inner or outer tie rod ends from the rack and pinion, check the steering shaft also, just grab hold of it and see if you can wiggle it, or watch it while someone turns the wheel back and forth, and lastly is the balljoints which attach to the steering knuckle,but, as far as the knuckle itself being bad,i highly doubt it, unless you've been involved in a wreck..there is the possibility of worn rack and pinion bushings also..

Old 09-13-2017 | 09:33 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

The u-joint is a common wear item. It's part of the lower intermediate shaft.