2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need to do a Tranny Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Muy_Pyro
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to do a Tranny Flush?

Hey guys, I've only had my Dakota for a little while now and I've noticed that it shifts a little less than perfect (hesitates to shift at times, or will hold on to it's rpm's for a little bit). I checked the tranny fluid and it seems the dealership that I picked it up from went a little overboard cuz it's pretty full. Well, anywho - this is what I'm blaming the poor shifting on. So, the question is, what's the best way to get some out? They said they did a transmission flush when they ran it thru inspection and the fluid looks clean, so I'd hate to have pay for and/or go thru the hastle of another full tranny flush, but is there any other way to bleed some fluid out? Just currious before I got thru the trouble! Thanks in advance

Old 11-27-2005, 02:31 AM
vytamenc
Default RE: Need to do a Tranny Flush?

wow a walet flush(trans flush) first of all dont let a dealer sell you a trans flush you dont need it. it is a way to flush your wallet of hard earned dollars. however transmissions services are a very essential part of service(fluid change and filter change). second a trans that is over full will not cause the shifting complaints you described. the best way i have learned to remove over full trans fliud id by sucking it out yup right out through the dipstick. you must get a long narrow vacuum hose and apply vacuum to one side of the hose. then stuff the vacuum hose (remember narrow hose. hard plastic vacuum line) down the dipstic tube of the trans suck out to the correct level.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:39 AM
clemson725
Professional

Pump it out through the dipstick....and transmission flushes are good. Just dropping the pan and putting a new filter doesnt even get half of the old fluid out of a transmssion. The fluid doesnt drain out of the torque converter. Do you need flush the transmission every time? not at all, but if the fluid looks burnt or has been in there a really really long time, then i'd flush it.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:25 PM
dpoliver

Is it possible to do a complete flush at home...
or is a wallet drain at the shop the only way?

Old 11-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

Well, I didn't ask for them to flush it, that's just what they did as part of their service when they took the vehicle in, before I had bought it. And no, it dosen't *need* to be flushed again, obviously, it was just done. ... I was thinking about sucking it out of the dipstick, actually. I guess I'll give that a try. Maybe hook a plastic tube up to a Turkey-Baister?? I just wasn't sure if that'd work well, or if I should drop the pan to get 1/2 qt. out.... Thanks for the Inputs guys! Soooo- You don't think that having an over-full tranny will cause it to shift a little odd? I know if it's really low on fluid Automatic trannys shift weird.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
vipes

I had AAMCO do a trans rebuild about 1 yr 9 mos ago. After having some issues on a highway trip, I noted the trans fluid level was "over full". I since then dropped the fluid level using the siphon through the dipstick tube method - but had to put some back in due to bad 1-2 shifting when cold. Sounds similar...

Do the Dakota trans need to be filled abnormally past the "Full" marker to run right?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

Well While we're on the whole Tranny Subject If a over-full Tranny is not causing small abnormalities in the shifting, any other ideas on that ??? Also, I noticed when I put it in gear (Either Drive, or Reverse) it has a fairly loud "Clunk" and it jars the truck a bit ... Is this normal for Dakotas?? I checked the driveshaft for any play, and that seems tight. Anyone have and experience with something like this ???

Thanks [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I hope you checked the tranny in neutral... what you describe sounds like it was checked in park. the TC doenst pump tranny fluid in park so the level will be much higher than it should be.

for anyone looking for a rebuilt tranny, check out http://www.apsprecision.com, they've worked out alot of the bugs w/the dodge tranny.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 AM
DakotaRT03

Steve is right.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

if ur gna "turkey baste" i think its somthign like 9 quarts of fluid out have fun!

Quick Reply: Need to do a Tranny Flush?