2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

High-beam Indicator Always on

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 PM
acesofwar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High-beam Indicator Always on

I just swapped out my old gauge cluster in my 98 Dakota for one from a 00 Durango and the high beam indicator is always on unless my high beams are actually on. It wasn’t like this with the old cluster. What’s wrong and how can I fix it while keeping the new cluster?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Not sure you can..... some stuff may have changed over the years..... I don't know if wiring diagrams for the cluster itself are available, but, comparing the 98 to the 00 would be a place to start.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Brandon Woolstenhulme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope this helps

I hope this helps, wished I could remember where I found it but I have the whole guide

Attached Files
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by acesofwar
I just swapped out my old gauge cluster in my 98 Dakota for one from a 00 Durango and the high beam indicator is always on unless my high beams are actually on. It wasn’t like this with the old cluster. What’s wrong and how can I fix it while keeping the new cluster?
Try swapping the polarity of high and low beams on the headlight plugs that plugs into the headlight bulbs. You'll probably see three wires leading into the plug. Leave the black alone (gnd), cut the other two and swap them. You might also be able to re-pin them instead of cutting. Meaning sticking a small screwdriver down in the pins, sliding them out and swapping locations.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

The 98 is manually controlled by relays. The 00 is expecting CTM control. The two 10-pin connectors changed functions between the years IIRC.

Quick Reply: High-beam Indicator Always on