2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Dodge Dakota No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Shawn44663
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Dakota No Crank No Start

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota extended cab pickup truck. It has the 3.7 engine. 4 speed, automatic.
2 days ago, i backed up a steep driveway and engaged the emergency brake while parked. When i was done, i shifted into drive and released the emergency brake. It was a hard shift because of the steep incline, but it started fine on the first try as usual. I moved about 10 feet down the driveway and the truck dies. No crank, no start...interior lights, radio, power windows and locks all work. Gauges do not move. No clicking, no sounds under the hood. A couple of times, when turning the key to start, the box around the digutal gear readout went through a sequence from park, reverse, neutral and drive and then back to park where it stayed. A couple of times when turning the key to start, the odometer said "no bus"...Most of the times i have turned the key to start, ododmeter is fine and the box around the gear readout is fine also...staying on park when im in park.

Here is what i have tried so far:
charged and tested the battery
tested the starter relay
removed starter relay and jumped the starter. The starter engaged.
Thought it might be neutral safety switch...or transmission range sensor, but the transmission shop doesnt think that is the issue(mine is inside the tranny).
Any other suggestions would be helpful. I am able to do some work myself, but i dont have a lot of money to spend on this. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
canopus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any codes? Check all of the connections for the computer, ignition. The "NO BUS" on the odometer sounds like an intermittent connection issue which is a pain to trace and fix. Look for any corrosion on wire and loom connections, check them for loose connections. The gauges should move when key is moved to on position. Fuel pump should engage and pump fuel, does it? You tested the starter relay but is it getting signal from ignition to engage?

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Dakota No Crank No Start