2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cv axel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Jon Luttrell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cv axel replacement

Let me start by stating the symptoms I encountered. I was driving home from work and the truck started with a slight vibration. A few miles down the road it was a violent vibration almost more of a wobble, that could be felt throughout the whole truck, including the steering wheel. When I turned to get off the road I could hear and feel a clunking noise. Went to Les schwab and had them check all the normal front end components. They drove the truck and felt the craziness, but couldn’t figure out the problem. Got the truck towed home, because it was not driveable in that condition.

So, my friend who is a mechanic told me it is problably a really bad cv axel. I got new axles from auto zone, but the groove for the compression clip was at the wrong spot. The ones they gave me were 1/2 inch from the end of the inboard side, and the originals were 1 5/16 from the inboard side. Called dodge with the vin and they didn’t tell me much.

I have have found some that are all the same dementions, spline count, length... etc. but no one can telll me the distance of the groove for the compression ring.

Anybody experienced this?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Unfortunately, can't offer any advice without knowing what vehicle you are referring to. Welcome to DF anyway though.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Jon Luttrell

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Unfortunately, can't offer any advice without knowing what vehicle you are referring to. Welcome to DF anyway though.
2001 Dodge Dakota, v6 3.9

Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Jon Luttrell

And the manufacture date is 10/00

Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Moved to the correct section.

Quick Reply: Cv axel replacement