2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lift Kit, Brake Changing, Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 AM
Steve M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit, Brake Changing, Rotors

1999 5.2L V8 4x4, 42RE Transmission, Extended Cab.

Right now I need to change the brakes. First question is that when I take the old brakes off, should I use a scotch brite pad or sandpaper to scoff the rotor or can I just use my brake cleaner on it?

Second question, removing rotors, is it as tough as some mechanics make it sound?

Third question, I want to add a lift kit to my truck, I want it 4 to 5 inches more. I have looked at the guides above and even went to some part sites, the question is this are lift kits universal or do I need to make sure I get one meant for my truck?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Just use brake clean and spray the whole brake apparatus before you begin, you don't want to breathe brake dust. Once you are done installing, spray the rotor again, to clean off any dirt or grease. Make sure to lube up the slide pins and when you pull the calipers, hang them with bungee or rubber tie down, so the brake lines are not stressed. Removing rotors is not tough at all. If you've been paying to do it, you'll kick yourself. Finally, make sure you pump the brakes a few times before you move the truck.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 AM
dalewpitt
Amateur

There are no suspension lifts kits made for Dakotas and the best body lift is 3 inches.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:55 PM
badaxe

They do make lifts, are as pricey any IFS kit and just aren't readily available. It has been about a year since I spoke with them and basically the have the templates, materials, and resources. I was told they build the kit once it's ordered.

http://www.airbagit.com/1999-2004-DO...it4-dk9904.htm

Quick Reply: Lift Kit, Brake Changing, Rotors