2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hey Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 AM
AGard1777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Everyone!

Just joined today. Thanks to those of you who've helped already with previous posts.

So my 2000 SLT's front passenger side caliper froze up. I replaced it yesterday. New one appeared to be working at first, but once I got it back on the ground, driving, it was frozen up AND the ABS won't engage at all. The BRAKE light on the dashboard is on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you bleed the system correctly? Perhaps the caliper was not the issue.....I've seen brake hoses break down inside and act as a check valve...lets pressure in, won't release pressure....

Old 06-15-2018, 08:20 AM
AGard1777

Hey thanks! I didn't. I thought the caliper would fix everything. Plan on bleeding everything today. I'm really concerned about three fast that the ABS won't engage at all though. I'm afraid that i didn't attach the fuel line properly or that there's air in the lines. Gonna bleed it in any case! Thanks!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Fuel line won't affect the braking system. And, if you opened the system it needs to be bled. There is now air in the system.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

[QUOYeah, check bleeding procedure. Although, if there is air in the system, I think it would have the opposite effect of lock up. You'd be pressing like mad to make it stop. Now two bad calipers would be a helluva coincidence, but go ahead and make sure those slide pins are lubed anyway. Also check if the hose is collapsing, as said earlier. Are you sure it's just one caliper locking? Does one wheel turn and the other doesn't, while on jack?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:10 PM
AGard1777

Hey thanks guys! A friend and I have been working on it like crazy. We replace both calipers and the brake pads and bled the lines properly. It's still locking up. Just a quick recap, the brakes were locking up, and then I replace one caliper. After that the ABS would not engage at all. It was like you said. I had to press like mad to get it to stop even from 20 miles per hour. So we replace both calipers and as far as I know drain the lines properly, but now the brakes are still locking up. I think it's both calipers. Anytime I get up past 30 or 40 it grinds like mad and my speed dies off on its own. Not sure what to do here thanks in any case!

Old 06-17-2018, 03:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AGard1777
Hey thanks guys! A friend and I have been working on it like crazy. We replace both calipers and the brake pads and bled the lines properly. It's still locking up. Just a quick recap, the brakes were locking up, and then I replace one caliper. After that the ABS would not engage at all. It was like you said. I had to press like mad to get it to stop even from 20 miles per hour. So we replace both calipers and as far as I know drain the lines properly, but now the brakes are still locking up. I think it's both calipers. Anytime I get up past 30 or 40 it grinds like mad and my speed dies off on its own. Not sure what to do here thanks in any case!
Did you replace the lines? I'm with JKeaton. We had a line do that once in our dually. It wasn't fun. Tap the brakes going 50 going into a construction zone towing a boat and suddenly the right front stays locked down with nowhere to get off the road. That brake was smoking until we could pull over.

Quick Reply: Hey Everyone!