2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Upgrading my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 PM
OH4DAKOTA4X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my sound system

Bought a 1 DIN with motorized 7" touch screen, CD, Bluetooth, XM, Sirius ready, all the bells... And Alpine S series 6.5 speakers, Amp, and .. Uh oh, a pair of 6x9s for the back.
​​​​​​I just noticed, as I never really go back there, they are 6.5s as well.
Can the 6x9s fit in the door anyway?
I'll probably take it to a pro and let them install as all the removal of interior is just a bit too scary.
And with the dash off, I need the HVAC blend door actuator replaced.
I better make some calls
Ugh

Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

6x9's will not fit anywhere in the cab, easily. It'd be an uphill battle to make them fit the sides of an extended cab, but reg cab and quad cab, no way. Better off to send them back.

Ext cab interior is a pain. The front door speakers are easy.

Make sure to get the proper wiring harness adapter to match the aftermarket head to the factory harness. I've seen alot of ....bad things.... come from faulty wiring due to shops just hacking wires and making them work. Very bad juju.

Also, where the dash comes off does not give access to the HVAC system. you have to get wayyyy deeper to get to that stuff. Not as deep as to replace the heater core, but pretty damn close. (to my knowledge)

Old 07-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
6x9's will not fit anywhere in the cab, easily. It'd be an uphill battle to make them fit the sides of an extended cab, but reg cab and quad cab, no way. Better off to send them back.

Ext cab interior is a pain. The front door speakers are easy.

Make sure to get the proper wiring harness adapter to match the aftermarket head to the factory harness. I've seen alot of ....bad things.... come from faulty wiring due to shops just hacking wires and making them work. Very bad juju.

Also, where the dash comes off does not give access to the HVAC system. you have to get wayyyy deeper to get to that stuff. Not as deep as to replace the heater core, but pretty damn close. (to my knowledge)
I agree. In order to fit the 6x9s in your back doors you will have to cut away at the original hole the speakers were in, which will not be easy, at all. You then run the risk of the door panel not fitting back on properly.

Get another pair 6.5"s. Make sure to separate the original speakers from the plastic mount they are glued to, and mount the new speakers in that, otherwise the new speakers will interfere with your window.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: Upgrading my sound system