2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

inspect for rust

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 AM
djacobson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspect for rust

Trying to do some preventive stuff to my new to me 2001 Dakota sport.There is really no rust showing. A few paint chips on bottom of the doors that have some rust. Looks like maybe a little on the bottom inside of the passenger door. I plan to touch up with some of the rust inhibitive paint. Maybe do some fluid film underneath. Now the fender flares. Should I take them off and inspect under them. No rust showing now.How are the flares reinstalled? Is it a double stick tape that keeps them on around the fender?

Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes. And either that or rivets/ screws. You will have to look closely and see how they are attached.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Lifteddakotasport01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, definitely remove the flares. I've bought 2 Dakotas that looked fine at first. But they are notorious for rotting under the flares. Had three of my flares fall off on the road one day. The upper outward facing edge of the flares is attached with double sided adhesive tape you can get from any Auto parts store. The under side of the flares inside the wheel wells are usually attached with rivets or push pins.

Quick Reply: inspect for rust