2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starts but dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:49 PM
SWmich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts but dies

Hey everyone. I'm having an issue with my 01 Dakota. Today when driving it I had it stall on me. Truck will turn over and try to run but stall. I've added gas to it, I had a fuel pump put in last year. I can hear it run when I switch the key to on. Checked fuses, I can hear and feel my relays working when starting it. I was thinking maybe fuel injectors?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:05 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Unlikely for all injectors to fail at once.

Which engine do you have - 3.9 V6 or 4.7 or 5.9 V8?

You can check for spark using the (insulated) screwdriver method or grounding a spark plug in a viable location. You can verify fuel pressure with a rental gauge from most stores, if you don't already have one. Next option would be the IAC, however if you were in the throttle when it died and it will not start with the throttle cracked, it can be generally ruled out.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM
SWmich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! That was the issue. Cleaned out the AIC and throttle body and it started right up. May need to replace it though because it will not idle and dies if I let off the gas.

Quick Reply: Starts but dies