2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lost Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow that's great to see..thanks
So thats why theres no "kick in" in reverse..no pressure with clip /ring broke ..
Anything I need to know thats very important as I pull the overdrive?
when pulling overdrive is it critical to keep the inside plates exactly in place also?
An also can I replace it with used one?

Last edited by hidden1; 08-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

The plates will stay in place, there is a huge spring in there keeping things together.

I would have yours rebuilt. You never know what you are getting with a used unit. Unless, of course, you LIKE doing this particular job.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The plates will stay in place, there is a huge spring in there keeping things together.

I would have yours rebuilt. You never know what you are getting with a used unit. Unless, of course, you LIKE doing this particular job.
Giant murderous spring if you're ill prepared. If it ends up being the snap ring for me, I'll remove the OD unit myself, replace my 3-4 accumulator spring, and call a local trans shop to see what they charge to rebuild the OD only. If it's over 300, I'll just buy a remanufactured OD unit, found one for $275.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

Looking more like a snap ring... Drove the truck to work (easier to work on there vs at home), everything was fine in forward gears except: No engine braking, even in manual 1st. The OD direct clutch is used for reverse and engine braking, and another symptom is mushy or softer shifts between 3-4 (since OD is the only gear to disengage it). I noted that ALL of my shifts were a bit smoother oddly. Even the light shuttle-shift between 1-2 didn't happen. I wonder if my shuttle shift and delayed reverse were something wrong with it to begin with, and eventually it just broke the snap ring. I won't be able to get the pan off until later this week, tomorrow at earliest. Here's a bit of reading, one is a jeep forum that I found some good info, and a dodge forum they quoted.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/200...everse-120243/
http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=195965

Last edited by Skreelink; 08-21-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM
hidden1
Captain

That's a great price on remanufactured one ,where did you find it?
I wonder what a rebuild runs too..

Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by hidden1
That's a great price on remanufactured one ,where did you find it?
I wonder what a rebuild runs too..
Transmission seller on Ebay, just make sure to read the description to ensure what you're getting. Some are rebuilt with used parts, some are properly rebuilt, and some are remanufactured.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A500-42RE-Dodge-2wd-Overdrive-Unit-REMANUFACTURED/312217785553?epid=1430430751&hash=item48b1a154d1:g :lKMAAOSwiSJbdkBy Here's a reman and they show a 36 month warranty, ship it back, they'll rebuild it, and ship it back to you.

As far as a full rebuild goes, last year I got my trans fully rebuilt, it was $1850+ tax, total came up to $2021. Also, my truck I ended up taking it over to where I got it rebuilt last year, my warranty was 2 months out of date... Actually should have been less than a month expired, as the 2 months was the first time I got it back, had to take it back twice within a month for new electronics and burning up the OD... So they made me a deal and are going to rebuild it for $800. The owner and the master builder both said the OD unit does nothing with reverse (and the direct clutch is not engaged), no matter what and it's all done strictly at the rear drum, and manual 1st does not use the rear band either. Even after showing them the previously posted section from the FSM, they claimed it didn't. So I told them to save the bad parts so I can see them, there's absolutely no reason the rear band should have broken on my trans. Same people that spliced in 2000+ electronics into my 1998, and were surprised it didn't work. Now I'm REALLY hoping it's the OD snap ring and see what they say.

I had called a couple other shops beforehand to see if they'll just rebuild the OD unit, and they only do full rebuilds. However, they all said they wouldn't worry about those two months and warranty it anyway, so I know where I'm going in the future. Even after I get the truck back again, I have to deal with a random stall gremlin, likely looking at a PCM... and I'm moving soon, I need my truck :/

Last edited by Skreelink; 08-21-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM
hidden1
Captain

Thanks,keep me posted on your tranny issue,an what you find ,an ill do the same.
I like that rebuilt deal you showed an may look into it..pretty good warranty it seems too.
I'm gonna ask rebuild costs locally but I bet they'll want the whole transmission.

Last edited by hidden1; 08-22-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Got my truck back today, apparently it ripped apart the rear band. It grabbed it, and twisted it around (which is likely what caused my wheels to lockup for a second) before dropping into the pan.

https://imgur.com/a/LUoN9Pq

They put a whole rebuild kit in, including hard parts, had all my old parts in a bucket beside the truck. Unlike when I got the truck back last time, it doesn't seem to hesitate to go into reverse. When I had it rebuilt last year (an entirely different debacle), reverse always had about a 3-4 second delay before engaging. Me and the owner of the trans shop are thinking it was a manufacture defect of the band, developed a tear on the side (which would cause the delay as it would have to build more pressure, like pulling it out of adjustment), and eventually finally gave out. He told me to make sure if it develops any sort of delay, funny feeling, etc. Immediately bring it back so it doesn't break 2 months past warranty again.

Semi-unrelated. I still have the light throttle 1-2 shuttle shift at 10mph. Since I had no one to drop me off to pickup the truck, the owner followed me home in my truck, and I drove him back to the shop in it. He felt it a few times and made a note of my number and is going to discuss it with his master builder to see what can be done about it.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Well, at least its a truck again.

The band really doesn't look like it was in that bad of shape before the failure....... Wonder if the tech cracked in when assembling the trans.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 PM
hidden1
Captain

Does this break the bands?

I'm getting told on another site that when that snap ring breaks your bands are broken. An tranny has to come out
is that true?
I saw your bands were broken but wonder if that did it or they did it.

Quick Reply: Lost Reverse