2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake Plumbing Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Brake Plumbing Thoughts

I'm breaking this away from my build thread to get some opinions after reading wgcarlso's thread.

I'd like to plumb the combination/prop valve out of the circuit and remove it completely. Using the metric-to-english adapter suggested by Carl, it should be straight forward to run a little 8" jumper line from the rear brake output of the MC to my proportioning valve, which sits where the RWAL unit used to be.

My conundrum is how to plumb the front brake, and include the line lock. I do not have much faith in being able to re-bend the factory line, so my option is to try and cut+reflare the line in a place convenient to add the line-lock, or run a whole new line from the combination valve, using another metric-to-english adapter at the frame rail. Again, using a metric-to-english adapter at the MC and making the line to the LL will be the easy part.

I just need to figure out how to plumb from the LL to the frame rail. I would like to re-use the factory line if at all possible, but I fear i will crack it if I try to bend it. Opinions?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 PM
magnethead
Legend

Brake fitting adapters will be here tomorrow....hopefully they are the right ones as specified...Got a couple 8" lines at O'Reillys and bent them up in the meantime.

The loop 270 for the rear was a little tricky, our bender only goes to 180 and I had to make a die to go the next 90 degrees. There's plenty of looseness in the lines to make up the offset going into the master.

The complex 90-90 for the front was fairly simple, I'll have to finish bending it once i get the factory balance valve out of the way.

The only hard part left should be cutting and re-flaring the factory line for the front, to go into the line lock.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:15 AM
magnethead
Legend

Didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked - I tried to re-flare the factory brake line 3 times and couldn't, so i ended up getting a 20" prefab line and just bending it all to hell. The factory line is 21 or 22 inches long. Ideally the line lock should come down an inch and I should be using the straight fittings on both ports. That would plumb much nicer.

The MC port for front brakes is M10, the port for rear brakes is M12, and the port for the frame rail is M12. So I have an M10 adapter left over since I bought 2 of each.

None of the fittings seem to be leaking, so now I get to bleed tomorrow night.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:36 PM
magnethead
Legend

Well, it stops....ran 1.5 quarts of fluid through the system to flush as much of the old crap out as possible...it was coming out dark, dark brown, almost black.

Now to wire the line lock.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 PM
magnethead
Legend

Line lock is wired and functional.....Somewhere out there in the land of mexico are 4 splotches of rubber.

Quick Reply: Brake Plumbing Thoughts