2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Swap questions (brakes and engines)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:08 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Swap questions (brakes and engines)

Hey all, I am doing some digging, trying to find info on a few possible projects and am hoping yall can shed some light..

I have a 2002 Dak 2wd v6 5 speed swapped. I have been looking for some info on whether I can drop in a v8 or not. I think 5.9's were available in 2002's but only paired with automatics so I am wondering if the v6 pcm can be flashed to run either the 5.2 or 5.9 with injector wires added? Or would I need to use a ram pcm if that's even possible. Rams had the 5.9 manual combination IIRC.

Also, I am looking at doing the front brake conversion from a 2003 Durango or Dakota and am wondering if anyone here has done that and what is needed? From what I have found online, I need the knuckles/spindles, rotors, calipers, and brake lines. There was a tutorial on how to do this at "http://bigdakotabrakes.gotdns.com/brakes.html" but it no longer works.

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 09-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

1) on the V8 swap, use a V8 automatic PCM and have it "tricked" into thinking it has a manual trans. That's what I did on mine. You don't even have to change the harness.

2) There is a large discrepancy of information regarding the 03/04 front brake swap. Be aware that the dakota and durango spindles and calipers are different....as has been found out by others the hard way. The easiest thing to do is to pull an entire assembly off a junkyard vehicle (just break apart the 2 ball joints and take the entire unit), keep one side together, put all new parts on the other side, that way you can make sure it all goes together right. If you get the wrong parts, the caliper will be about 1/2" off.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Durango setup was slightly larger than the Dakota, but they didn't mention whether it would work or not.. I think I'll find a set from a Dakota.

Who did the programming on your PCM?

Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypilot7
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Durango setup was slightly larger than the Dakota, but they didn't mention whether it would work or not.. I think I'll find a set from a Dakota.

Who did the programming on your PCM?
Ryan Hogan - www.frptuning.com

Quick Reply: Swap questions (brakes and engines)