2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I have to laugh a little.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have to laugh a little.....

Over the past week my New/Old Dakota had been developing a slight 1st to 2nd gear shift hesitation.
Well yesterday the 1st to 2nd gear shift became very violent. I thought "Just great,, im going to need a transmission!"
So that evening i researched everything i could find that might cause that hard shift, that i personally could try to fix.
After digging through forums and logs i came to the information that a bad TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) could cause this problem..
So i thought "Well hey,, it's got 136K probably time for a new one anyway" So i ordered one.
After that i set about digging deeper on the Internet about possible causes for the hard delayed shift and i found that a ISS ( Input Speed Sensor ) could also cause this issue. So, what the heck,, its 20 some dollars, so i ordered one and called it a night.

Well this afternoon i went out to pick up the parts i had ordered last night. Before i left however, i decided to lift the hood of the truck and inspect the engine.
I noticed that the battery connections were really cruddy, like Two small coral reefs cruddy. I mean there were things growing on them that could of passed for alien lifeforms.
So I decided I to clean them before i left. I cleaned the posts and the clamps throughly and greased them
Then i took off to get the parts i ordered to address the hard shift.
AND..GUESS WHAT!?
(I'll wait, go ahead and guess)

The hard delayed shift was gone!!!! I drove all around, stopping and starting, trying to stress it.
Oh Chrysler, you're so wonky!

Who would of thought cleaning the battery terminals would of fixed transmission issues !?.

I think im still going to put in the new TPS and Input ISS. and i think it could still l use a transmission service.
And maybe a new battery

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 09-10-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: I have to laugh a little.....