2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dual battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Jumpy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual battery?

is there a diy duel battery setup, if not has anyone on here do this, how do you do it? 1997 Dakota 5.2

Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check you tube. Lots of videos on the subject.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jumpy
Possibly, If you take some time and browse the various Car Audio forums, you not doubt will find a lot of info on that.
Often the guys that build "Boom Cars" have multiple battery setups.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Fuses are your friend.

Even if it's a 400 amp fuse.

It is your friend.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Jumpy

I have not been able to find one for a Dakota. I have seen others but I’d like to see one in a Dakota already done so I’m not drilling a bunch of holes if there is an easier place to put the second. I been kicking around the idea of putting a second alt and or a second ac compressor but that’s a bit of work and research to figure out the best mounting positioning.
Originally Posted by jkeaton
Check you tube. Lots of videos on the subject.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM
magnethead
Legend

Put the second one in the bed, it's really your only feasable option unless you want to be crawling under the truck.

Use 2 gauge wire at the minimum. Some people like to use 1/0 for good margin, I'm having no issues using #2 in my truck.

Use marine or box connectors when going through sheet metal. I used these ->
Amazon Amazon

Solder any connections that you can. As mentioned, use a fuse so that if something happens, you're covered. I have a 200 amp fuse on my alternator lead, my battery primary is not fused BUT it does not come in contact with anything metal at any point. I have it double-loomed where it does pass through. With a secondary battery, any tiny voltage loss in the fuse isn't such an issue since you're not drawing the full 150 cranking amps through that battery. With a primary, the voltage loss is noticeable.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Jumpy

I was hoping to put it in engine compartment the previous owner removed the air box and put old skewl air filter on top of engine. I was thinking I could use that space for the secondary battery. But then I also have a small air tank and compressor for a set of train horns I need to figure out. I could mount the compressor under the bed and put the horns back there as well since I won’t be using the full spare.

Originally Posted by magnethead
Put the second one in the bed, it's really your only feasable option unless you want to be crawling under the truck.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:26 PM
magnethead
Legend

There is a surprising amount of room in the rear wheel wells under the bed floor. Driver forward is occupied by the gas filler, but the other 3 are wide open. I moved the charcoal canister to behind the driver rear tire, exhaust dumps in front of the passenger rear tire, and air compressor system is going in the right rear corner. Primary battery is in passenger front corner of bed. When I add a second battery, it will be in driver front corner of bed.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know how the 2nd gens are laid out, but on my 1st gen, the stock battery tray is on the driver side. I got one from the junkyard and modified it and my passenger fender to mount it up. The stock battery box mounts to the inner fender and has a bracket that goes to the frame.

qaOCnqy.jpg

At first, I mounted the 2nd battery under the bed on the passenger side, but I didn't like it being somewhat inaccessible. LOL, now looking back that brace I used was too close to the battery post.

N2WqdMm.jpg

Quick Reply: Dual battery?