2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dakota 4.7 timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:19 PM
jeremy cherer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Dakota 4.7 timing

Hello all, I am in need of some guidance. I had my friend help me remove my timing chain, however, I had to run an errand and when I returned he had removed the timing cover, chains, and the sprockets. He said, "the small sprocket mark was at 6 o'clock position and the big sprocket was at 12 o'clock position and the two little sprockets were are R V8 L with the V8 at 12 o'clock position on both sides. my worry is that he said when we were trying to break the bolt free on the right side he said the cam turned a few times. (at this time I guess no chains were on so just the right side turned) I tried to just place the right sprocket back and have it just rest on the pin and it rest sits at the "L" in the 12 o'clock position. I insured me it would be fine because when the cam rotated it turned with no chains attached and the cam fully rotated a few times (not 100% of how many times it was rotated). I am wondering if I can get some help to ensure when I put it all back together everything is timed perfectly.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Line up the marks, (the correct marks.....) and put the chains back on. There is no distributor to worry about, so, if the cam/crank relationships are correct, it will run. I don't know what the 'correct' marks are, should be in the instructions with your chain set.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:14 PM
jeremy cherer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Line up the marks, (the correct marks.....) and put the chains back on. There is no distributor to worry about, so, if the cam/crank relationships are correct, it will run. I don't know what the 'correct' marks are, should be in the instructions with your chain set.
Thank you!!!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Quick Reply: 02 Dakota 4.7 timing