2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

140A Fusible link location

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Haym7831
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 140A Fusible link location

I need help in locating the PDC containing the 140A fusible link and brake fuse. I really need to check the brake fuse - no brake lights. A picture would be great. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

PDC is the black electrical box under the hood, diagram is on the bottom of lid. Not sure on a 140 amp fusible link,... I've not seen any FL's on my truck nor do I recall any MAXI fuses in the PDC. Tells you what little I know.

Per the FSM:

GENERATOR CARTRIDGE FUSE

DESCRIPTION
A 140 ampere generator cartridge fuse is used on

this model. The generator cartridge fuse is similar to other cartridge fuses found in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). This fuse has a color-coded plastic housing and a clear plastic fuse conductor inspection cover like other cartridge fuses, but has a higher cur- rent rating and is connected and secured with screws instead of being pushed onto male spade-type termi- nals. The generator cartridge fuse cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

OPERATION
The generator cartridge fuse is secured between

the two B(+) terminal stud connection bus bars within the Power Distribution Center (PDC). This fuse protects the vehicle electrical system from dam- age that could be caused by excessive charging sys-
tem output and/or excessive electrical system current levels resulting from a faulty generator or faulty charging system control circuits. If the current rating of the fuse is exceeded, the fuse conductor melts to open the generator output circuit connection to the PDC. If a generator cartridge fuse fails, be certain to completely inspect and test the vehicle charging sys- tem before replacing the fuse and returning the vehi- cle to service. Refer to Charging System in the index of this service manual for the charging system diagnostic procedures. Refer to Power Distribution in the index of this service manual for the location of complete PDC circuit diagrams.

REMOVAL
If a generator cartridge fuse fails, be certain to

inspect and test the vehicle charging system before replacing the cartridge fuse and returning the vehicle to service. Refer to Charging System in the index of this service manual for the charging system diagnos- tic procedures.

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

(2) Unlatch and remove the cover from the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

(3) Remove the two screws that secure the genera- tor cartridge fuse to the two B(+) terminal stud bus bars within the PDC.

(4) Remove the generator cartridge fuse from the PDC.

INSTALLATION
If a generator cartridge fuse fails, be certain to

inspect and test the vehicle charging system before replacing the cartridge fuse and returning the vehicle to service. Refer to Charging System in the index of this service manual for the charging system diagnos- tic procedures.

(1) Position the generator cartridge fuse onto the two B(+) terminal stud bus bars within the PDC.

(2) Install and tighten the two screws that secure the generator cartridge fuse to the two B(+) terminal stud bus bars within the PDC. Tighten the screws to 3.4 N·m (30 in. lbs.). Be certain that both screws are tightened to the proper torque value.

(3) Install and latch the cover onto the PDC. (4) Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Haym7831

None of these fuses are in the "normal" PDC under the hood. I am most interested in the brake fuse. I posted the fusible link hoping someone knew the location. My main issue is no brake lights. I have no power coming in on the pk/db (power from PDC) on the the brake switch

Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 AM
magnethead
Legend

What year is the truck? I don't think the PDC changed in the 2000 transition but I could be wrong. All of the fuses should be in a column in the center, lettered A through G.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:59 AM
magnethead
Legend

Check for power at pin 13 [assuming FSM is right] of Connector 200, it's in the left front fender and is the main chassis to body wiring connector.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Haym7831

So I tracked down the fuse. Why the hell did they label it "st lamp"? Now I have to track down grounded wire (blows fuse instantly). At least I have two wires to choose from - pk/db (from PDC to brake switch) or wt/tn (power out to middle brake light and multifunction switches. Thinking it's not this one since all other lights work). I was using an older manual. Wiring colors are the same, just a different PDC under the hood. I have an 04 dakota

Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM
magnethead
Legend

"st lamp" means "stop lamp"...

Old 09-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Haym7831

Thanks🤗🤗. Kinda figured that out. Glad I could help you out. Lol

Old 10-01-2018, 05:20 PM
Haym7831

Brake lights up and going 🤗🤗🤗. No more blown fuses.

Quick Reply: 140A Fusible link location