2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' lost first gear throwing P1763

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

If the trans starts getting too hot, the first thing that happens is the PCM will disable O/D, and the light for that will come on. I don't recall what temp has to be for the PCM to decide to turn on the lite in the dash, but, that comes after dropping O/D.

Your problem may be heat related, but, that just another good reason to swap out the stock solenoid for the heavy duty feller.

Measure inlet/outlet sizes on the radiators, if they are pretty close, should be able to drop it right in.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Dwayne Olden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rolltide3006
Was off roading today and got caught in some pretty nasty sand. Had to engage my rear airlocker to get out because my front driveshaft isn't hooked up yet. Took about 4 back and forths to get out of this stuff. Finally got out and stopped the truck to let my dad get back in. As soon as we started moving forward, it jumped out of first gear. I immediately let off the gas. When rpms came back down it shifted into second and threw a check engine light. I hooked up the reader and found a P1763. The transmission is practically brand new. It was a standard rebuilt for like $1300 ordered online from transdepot if I remember correctly. Since I installed it I've put maybe 6 tanks of gas in through the truck. We had to keep driving because we were deep in the woods. It shifts great from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to O/D. Only prob is I no longer have 1st gear. Climbing a couple hills was really rough. Even if I put it in manual 1st, it still starts off in second. Every time I take off, it feels like I'm driving with the parking brake on.

What I'm wondering is will this problem correct itself? I was thinking that maybe because I was giving it hell to get out of this sand trap, gov pressure got too high and is having a hard time coming down. Is that even possible? What's also troubling is I haven't really even hit the big hills or holes yet because I don't have my front drive shaft hooked up yet. The truck right now is 2wd and already having problems. I'm running 4.10 gears and 35" tires.
Change the fluid and your line pressure control solenoid.
clear the code it should shift normal again for a while till it throws it again.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Dwayne Olden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rolltide3006
Unfortunately I've had the thing for over a year. I ordered it then couldn't work on the truck because of school. I still have the old transmission. I'm thinking of taking the governor solenoid and sensor out of that one and swapping them into the new one to see
This will fix your issue.

Quick Reply: 97' lost first gear throwing P1763