2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing rear wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Boom-Shakka-Laka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear wheel bearings

Hey everyone, I just bought my first dodge(2003 dakota slt 4x4 with the v8 4.7) and it failed inspection due to a bad rear wheel bearing. I've been doing research and think I can do the job myself. The only question i have is what bearings should i buy? I dont want to order them and find out they don't fit while I'm doing the job. Are there different sized bearings based off of what rear end you have? I'm pretty sure I have the 9 1/2 and not the 8 1/2

Old 11-03-2018, 02:47 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if they are different, but the easiest way to tell what rear end you have is to look at the Diff cover. If it is round, you have the 8.25. If it is an octagonal shape, that is the 9.25.

You can also look it up on Chrysler's VIN checker here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing (Use all caps for VIN letters)

Look for either Corporate 8.25 or Corporate 9.25. Also check for gear ratios. It's just useful information to have.

Oh, and congrats on the Dak!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Boom-Shakka-Laka

Originally Posted by tonypilot7
Not sure if they are different, but the easiest way to tell what rear end you have is to look at the Diff cover. If it is round, you have the 8.25. If it is an octagonal shape, that is the 9.25.

You can also look it up on Chrysler's VIN checker here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing (Use all caps for VIN letters)

Look for either Corporate 8.25 or Corporate 9.25. Also check for gear ratios. It's just useful information to have.

Oh, and congrats on the Dak!
Thanks, its a really nice truck but i really didnt want to have to do this much work to it this early on. I just replaced the cv joint for the front drive shaft to eliminate a clicking noise, that went pretty well. Next project will be the tie rods, wheel bearings and I suspect a new radiator (can't find any leaky hoses). Tie rods ive done before and were faily easy. Im just a bit nervous about going in the rear end as I've never been inside one yet, but there's only one was to learn lol. Oh and i have the octagon diff. With 12 bolts so I have the 9.25, most videos I found for the dakota only had the 8.25 so I don't think I can use the numbers of their bearings as a reference.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Just get the bearings from a local parts store. They should have them on the shelf, regardless of which rear you have.

The job really isn't that bad. Just smelly. Pull the cover, drain the fluid, take out the lock bolt, pull the center pin, push the axle IN, (tires and drums off already), pull the c-clip on the end of the axle, pull the axle out, pull the bearing, and seal, install new parts, put it back together. Maybe an hour, hour and a half. Wear gloves. The axle will be slimy with fluid, and it stinks.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Boom-Shakka-Laka

I was going to get the bearing from autozone but I really don't want the cheapo ones, I don't want to replace them again. I suppose Napa or advanced auto should have decent quality parts though. Thanks for the suggestion, I think that's a better idea than ordering them online and hoping they fit lol.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Even autozone should carry more than one brand of bearing...... Timkin, National, USA, are all good brands.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Boom-Shakka-Laka

The best autozone has is national with a 3 year warranty, I guess that shall work. Only 15.99 and 5 for the seal. aposed to mopar bearings that are 40 and 20 for the seal.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear wheel bearings