2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel gauge not working even after pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 02:32 AM
Jordan PJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge not working even after pump replacement

Hi all! I’m new to the forums and this is my first post. Sorry it’s so long, I wanted to make sure I did everything I could before asking. Anyways.

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8. When I bought the truck the gas gauge was not working. I figured it was the pump so I went ahead and replaced it with a new assembly. Unfortunately after the replacement the gas gauge still does not work. I dropped the tank again and made sure the arm wasn’t caught inside of the tank and also ran some tests with the new sending unit. I captured 20ohm=full and 220ohm=empty (that seems to be the correct resistance when searched up on google). I followed the wires down to the front of the vehicle and get the same readings from the harness up front just before it gets mixed in with all the other engine wires. I currently have about a half tank after testing out at 143ohm. So it seems my sender is good and maybe it’s my gauge?

The confusing part for me is that the wires I used from the sender was Blue & White and Black & Blue. However when I took apart the dash only the Blue & White wire is one of the connectors to the cluster and I can’t find the Black & Blue wire going to the cluster? I also can’t find a wiring diagram to figure out if it’s the wiring or the actual gauge itself.
I’ve also done the gauge reset where you hold the odometer button down while turning the key on. The gas gauge seems to work fine during that testing (it goes to E, to quarter then to full and drops back down below E after testing)

Anyways it’s killing me that the gauge is not working because I hate seeing the gas below E lol and also the fuel light is just constantly on😓 any help or advice you might have would be great! Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:01 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the gauge moved during the sweep test, I don't think it is bad. I have had some speedometer inoperable issues where the speedo would work on the sweep test, but not on the road.. It ended up being the contacts in the plugs between my gauge cluster and the dash panel that it plugs into. I fixed that by pulling out my cluster and spraying the plugs with electrical contact cleaner.

For wiring diagrams, you can download the FSM here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-manuals.html

It should have wiring diagrams if you need to chase the wire farther into the harness.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 11-03-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:16 AM
Jordan PJ

Thanks for the advice! It did seem a little dusty in the dash so I'll try the contact cleaner first. I appreciate the reponse.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't believe the fuel sensor wires go to the cluster. They should go to the PCM, which then communicates to the cluster over the PCI communication buss. Let me double check that though.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 AM
magnethead
Legend

Fuel level sensor voltage is sent over DB/WT from PCM C3P26 to the fuel pump control module, and returned via BK/LB to PCM C1P4.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:49 AM
Jordan PJ

Originally Posted by magnethead
Fuel level sensor voltage is sent over DB/WT from PCM C3P26 to the fuel pump control module, and returned via BK/LB to PCM C1P4.
Thanks for checking on that. I'll have to check it out tomorrow morning. I just found out that the engine light on the dash doesn't work so I used an OBD to see if any codes were stored. Turns out that P0463 "fuel level sensor circuit high input" was stored. Could it be that the new fuel pump assembly was a dud even if its sending signals to the harness up front? Or could the wires still be the issue?

Old 11-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Have you done a full reset by pulling the neg battery cable and turning the ignition key to start yet?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Jordan PJ
Thanks for checking on that. I'll have to check it out tomorrow morning. I just found out that the engine light on the dash doesn't work so I used an OBD to see if any codes were stored. Turns out that P0463 "fuel level sensor circuit high input" was stored. Could it be that the new fuel pump assembly was a dud even if its sending signals to the harness up front? Or could the wires still be the issue?
high input means the varistor in the level sender is not supplying a pull-down (ground) signal to the 5 volt input. Could be a break on either wire.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge not working even after pump replacement