2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anyone install a manual rack and pinion?

Old 11-20-2018, 12:30 AM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Anyone install a manual rack and pinion?

If so, what did you source it from? I am looking for a manual quick ratio rack for a 2003 Dakota 2WD, so far not having much luck finding one that will bolt in. I'd like one that takes 2.5 to 3 turns lock to lock. There are some Mustang II racks that have the ratio I want, but the mounting holes don't match up. I know about the converting a power rack to manual but I'd rather have a rack that's made to be manual. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:48 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimes
If so, what did you source it from? I am looking for a manual quick ratio rack for a 2003 Dakota 2WD, so far not having much luck finding one that will bolt in. I'd like one that takes 2.5 to 3 turns lock to lock. There are some Mustang II racks that have the ratio I want, but the mounting holes don't match up. I know about the converting a power rack to manual but I'd rather have a rack that's made to be manual. Thanks.
What are you trying to achieve?

Manual dakota racks do exist, but are hard to find. Ryan Hogan has the part number for it.

Chad Spicer and a few others are using a Ford Pinto rack with an adapter plate. The Pinto mounting bosses are further apart from the dakota despite the pinion and rack width being in about the same place, so a 1/4" x 3" plate can be cut to bolt into the factory holes, then the Pinto rack bolts to the plate.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:22 PM
Vimes
Veteran

What I'm doing is building a street truck that can hold its own in road/rally racing. I'm planning a manual rack with an underdash electric power steering setup. I've heard good results from folks who have done this conversion, and a manual rack will make putting a larger engine in easier. Not to mention, an electric rack only actually draws power from the engine when the wheel is being turned. OEM engineers have determined that dropping hydraulic power steering and replacing it with electric is good for 5-7HP and a couple miles per gallon. I did just come across a neat little gadget called a quickener, so I may not need to worry about a quick ratio rack, but definitely want a lightweight manual rack that takes up little real estate under the hood. Adding mass with a steel plate is not ideal. I'm also investigating having a rebuild company rebuild a stock power rack into a manual rack. Whatever I turn up, will make its way into this post.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 AM
magnethead
Legend

What I'm doing is building a street truck that can hold its own in road/rally racing. I'm planning a manual rack with an underdash electric power steering setup. I've heard good results from folks who have done this conversion, and a manual rack will make putting a larger engine in easier. Not to mention, an electric rack only actually draws power from the engine when the wheel is being turned. OEM engineers have determined that dropping hydraulic power steering and replacing it with electric is good for 5-7HP and a couple miles per gallon. I did just come across a neat little gadget called a quickener, so I may not need to worry about a quick ratio rack, but definitely want a lightweight manual rack that takes up little real estate under the hood. Adding mass with a steel plate is not ideal. I'm also investigating having a rebuild company rebuild a stock power rack into a manual rack. Whatever I turn up, will make its way into this post.
I looked at going to electric steering or electric over hydraulic, but I stayed 100% hydraulic.

The steel plate doesn't really add alot of weight...what it does add is down low, which helps CofG.

I saw a good photo of it the other day, can't find it now.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Vimes
Veteran

OK thanks. Wouldn't mind seeing a setup with this plate, or knowing how much weight the plate is.

What made you decide against the electric power steering?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:20 PM
magnethead
Legend

OK thanks. Wouldn't mind seeing a setup with this plate, or knowing how much weight the plate is.

I'm seeing who posted a photo of that specific setup...there's a few of us racers in the Dak group on facebook

Main issue for me was cost. It was cheaper to go to a much smaller pump and remote reservoir, but an E-pump would have given me more space. The TC pump works fine for me and I was able to build the supercharger plate around it (literally).

Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 PM
magnethead
Legend

The blue one above was Chad Spicer with a pinto rack bolted and clamped in.

David Peterson is the one with this setup in red, he's in New Mexico. Mustang 2 rack. The grade 8 bolts in the middle go into the factory rack bosses.

Last edited by magnethead; 11-21-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Vimes
Veteran

I see. So we're just talking about a 1/4 inch plate that's about 3 inches by 18 inches or so, eh? And that can probably be lightened up with some holes drilled between the two inboard holes. Thanks, I think this will be very do-able.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:33 PM
magnethead
Legend

I see. So we're just talking about a 1/4 inch plate that's about 3 inches by 18 inches or so, eh? And that can probably be lightened up with some holes drilled between the two inboard holes. Thanks, I think this will be very do-able.
This is from David:

It's a c channel I bought from Home Depot, stronger than just flat steel, I drilled out the stock bolt holes and bolted it in place using new grade 8 bolts and nuts. Then center the rack over the new plate, mark the holes for the rack...drill and bolt on. Done. Super easy.
I had to move the rack out a little, I thing 3/4" to lessen the angle of the steering u joint, it worked, but it wasn't happy until I did.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:44 AM
Vimes
Veteran

Nice, thanks. When I get the truck back I'll be starting in on this first. I can't take the truck down for its full renovation now, but I can at least start making the incremental improvements until I can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone install a manual rack and pinion?