2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Justin0620
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Dakota Help

Hey guys!
Found this forum because I have a question. I have a 04 Dakota 4x4 I use as a work truck. 175k. Been a real good truck. Have recently changed ball joints and Universal joints but other than that just normal routine maintenance. I've been having a problem that has gotten worse. When I back up I hear a loud popping/clicking and grinding noise. I only get the noise when backing up and it doesn't seem to be related to turning. It has gotten to the point that it almost holds the truck up, in fact I put the truck in nutueral from reverse on a slight incline to see if it did it in nutueral and it actually wanted to hold the truck up, if that makes sense? After I back up and shift to Drive it may click a tad but never really does it in Drive. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Possibly one of your CV joints? (front axles) Have you checked the boots on 'em? May not hurt to jack it up, and give things a spin. See what you find.

Welcome to DF! Moving this to Second Gen Dakota for ya.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

How are the parking brakes? The OEM parking brake shoes have a habit of the liner falling off the metal and rolling around in the hat. Remove the rear discs/hats and see if this might be the cause.

Quick Reply: 04 Dakota Help